cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidslade
Level 3

Installshield LE crashes VS2010

I just installed Installshield LE 2011 and it is crashing the VS2010 IDE every session. The crashes are random, when I click the toolbox, forms and everytime I double-click form controls.
I find the only way around this is to remove the Installshield project and only add it when building the output. Otherwise it is unusable.
What do I do to fix, re-install?
0 Kudos
(30) Replies
jim123
Level 3

I have uninstalled IS LE 2011 and moved on. I don't have time available to reinstall IS LS, restore a backup of my project, test it, send it to you, uninstall IS LE again and restore my current project version. I have to get my project done.

By the way, I think the question of which version of IS LE was used to create the project is a red herring. I never had IS LE 2010 installed. My first installation was IS LE 2011. If I were chasing this I would ask what similarities there are in the crashing installatioins that differ from your test installation, such as VS2010 features installed or not installed, .Net framework versions and extensions, VMWware installed, etc.

One other thing I should mention, although I would not expect it to have any berring on the issue, is that I have VFP 9 installed which also installs InstallShield 5.0 Express for Visual FoxPro. IS 5.0 Express for VFP will not run under Vista or Win7. I haven't used IS 5.0 since it failed when I first tried it on Vista, but it is sitting there. And No, I don't have time for more random experimenting until somebody comes up with evidence it might work.

...Jim Hansen
Canyon Country Consulting
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Jim,

Thank you for providing us the details.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I had asked the question regarding the version of InstallShield Limited Edition installed because we had encountered few crashing issues with 2010 Limited Edition and these were fixed in InstallShield Limited Edition 2011.

I do understand that at this point you do not have the time to troubleshoot this issue. We would keep this thread updated regarding the steps taken to troubleshoot this issue.

In future if you have more information that you can share with us, please do so, this will help us narrow down the issue and arrive at a resolution at the earliest.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

So there's been no progress on this? I'm still having the problem on my laptop. As I said, it happens on my laptop and does not happen on my desktop machine. That's inconvenient as my desktop is not my primary development machine, but mostly hosts virtual machines and various servers.

Is there any chance that your developers can provide a debug build that may be able to get more information about why this is happening? It's extremely difficult to work around, as I have to remember to unload my ISSetup project before I go into any designer or use the toolbox, then reload the ISSetup to make a new installer, then unload, etc.
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

We are currently working on this issue and have not found a solution yet.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Try this hotfix and see if it fixes the crash.
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

hidenori wrote:
Try this hotfix and see if it fixes the crash.

I backed up my copies of these files, replaced them with the hotfix, started Visual Studio with my solution and reloaded the ISSetup project. Tried to open the Toolbox and CRASH, down it went, same symptom.

I got two events in the Windows event logs, which I've attached in the Zip file. The 1001 event occurred first, then the 1002. I included one of the two files referenced by the 1001 event. I included another file that's not quite the same, sqmdata00.sqm instead of sqmdata.cvr, since the sqm file is all that was in the indicated folder, not the cvr file.

It looks like the second event is related to something trying to debug the failure and/or the replacement DLLs being debug versions, I dunno.

Let me know if I can get you any more information to help out.
0 Kudos
tom_hebert
Level 2

We have been using the VS embedded installer for many years. I saw the express edition in VS 2010 and figured I would try it out.

Obviously this thread describes the problem I am experiencing. If there is an Installshield project in the solution, VS won't stay up. It crashes just as others in this thread have been describing. It may, or may not, be related to a specific install project configuration but I don't have time to isolate various setting combinations.

I already lost 1/2 day trying to work around the problem.

So I am deinstalling Install shield and we'll stick with the embedded one for now. Outside of continuing Win2K install support there doesn't seem to be any benefit anyway.

I would appreciate a post if a fix is ever found.

As an aside, it does seem to occur when opening the editor which can occur when opening a solution, making it appear like a startup problem.

The project having the problem is 100% VB and C# managed code, some assemblies signed using a local file, two going into the global cache. At least one set of DLLs have mutual dependencies. VMware debug interface is installed but not in use.
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

This wasn't previously happening on my other machine, but now it is. I can't even open up the solution without Visual Studio crashing, meaning at this point I can't work on the solution on this machine. As best I know, nothing has changed with the configuration on this machine other than standard Windows updates.

The chance that we'd take the step from the LE version of this product to a paid version of the product (which we'd been considering for some of the more advanced features) gets smaller and smaller and close to non-existent every day that you guys can't fix this problem. It's a complete BLOCKER of an issue, is apparently not that uncommon, and you guys have done nothing. I've offered to run debug versions or provide whatever information someone could use to figure it out and no one's contacted me.
0 Kudos
Madusree
Level 7

Hello,

Our Engineering team is currently looking into this Issue. I should have further updates at the earliest.

Thanks,
Madusree
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

I just installed VS2K10 SP1 and am now able to open forms and the toolbox with my ISSetup project open and not crash the IDE. I'll let you know if the problem re-occurs.
0 Kudos