cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidslade
Level 3

Installshield LE crashes VS2010

I just installed Installshield LE 2011 and it is crashing the VS2010 IDE every session. The crashes are random, when I click the toolbox, forms and everytime I double-click form controls.
I find the only way around this is to remove the Installshield project and only add it when building the output. Otherwise it is unusable.
What do I do to fix, re-install?
0 Kudos
(30) Replies
dickstone
Level 3

I have exactly the same problem. VS2010 can crash just by arrowing down a file. This goes away when I remove the ISLE2011 project.
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Could you kindly provide us the exact steps which resulted in a crash.

Kindly provide us the detailed steps so that we can replicate this issue at our end and investigate further.

Thanks,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
davidslade
Level 3

Lenwin wrote:
Hi,

Could you kindly provide us the exact steps which resulted in a crash.

Kindly provide us the detailed steps so that we can replicate this issue at our end and investigate further.

Thanks,
Lenwin

It is simple and very reproducible: Whenever I double-click a form control in the editor, to view the associated code, VS2010 crashes. "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a ploblem and needs to close"
This is what I found in Windows Event Viewer:
.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.4952 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (70A31CF2) (0)

If I remove the Installshield project, no error.

Note: This is a mixed VB/C# solution. Not sure if this is a factor.
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Could you kindly provide us a small sample project which replicates the crashing behavior.

Kindly provide us all the contents of the sample project found in the location C:\Users\Visual Studio 2010\Projects.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
davidslade
Level 3

Lenwin wrote:
Hi,

Could you kindly provide us a small sample project which replicates the crashing behavior.

Kindly provide us all the contents of the sample project found in the location C:\Users\Visual Studio 2010\Projects.

Regards,
Lenwin

Don't see the pont: I don't think a small project would crash, but will try. For the moment I am removing the Installshield project untill I need to generate the output, VS2010 IDE does not crash at all that way.
Hopefully someone will come up with an answer.
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

Same issue here. I've definitely isolated it to InstallShield 2011 LE. I have three add-ons normally, IS2K11LE, AnkhSVN, and ReSharper 5.1. I have removed all of the add-ons and re-installed each one. I can have everything installed except for IS2K11LE and everything works. Install IS2K11LE and boom, crash when I open the toolbox or when I try to view a form in the Form Designer.

I've created a small sandbox application to see if I can recreate the issue there, but it doesn't work. Or, I mean, it works, which doesn't illustrate the crashing issue.

I've attached the event logs, wer, and cvr files from one of the crashes. I can conceivably send an archive of my full project to Flexera directly, but for obvious reasons I can't post it directly here 🙂

Anyways, this is a really big problem. Right now, I can't even open my solution with IS2K11LE installed because I have a form open in the designer, which means as soon as the solution opens, it crashes VS. I have to uninstall IS, open VS and my solution, close all of the forms, close VS, reinstall IS, reopen my solution, AND... gasp... close the IS project. I THINK that will let me work with my forms, but as the earlier poster said it's EXTREMELY inconvenient and unproductive.

If you have any particular questions or would like to discuss the issue, feel free to ask any questions and/or contact me directly.
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

I have verified that I can unload the ISSetup project in my solution and then open the Toolbox and forms in the Form Designer without crashing VS2K10. It's only with the ISSetup project open that it crashes.
0 Kudos
Shekar
Level 7

Hi,

Please provide us a sample project and steps to reproduce which replicates this behavior.

Regards,

Shekar
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

Shekar,

I'll be uploading the sample project to the FTP site momentarily, so look for that.

I just installed VS2K10 and my full set of add-ons on another machine to see if the problem would occur on that machine as well. It did NOT. The machine is the same operating system, 64-bit Windows 7, with VS2K10, AnkhSVN, Resharper, and IS2K11LE.

I was able to load the project, look at the setup project, open a form in the Forms Designer, open the Toolbox, and add controls to a new form. In other words, all the stuff you'd expect to be able to do.

There's a substantial difference in hardware: the machine on which my stuff is working is a Dell 531s, while the machine on which it's failing is a Macbook Pro running Windows under Boot Camp.
0 Kudos
Shekar
Level 7

Hi,

I am working on the project and i would get back to you on this 3 - 4 days.

Thanks

Shekar
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi,

Thank you for providing the sample project.

The sample project which you have provided seems to be created using InstallShield Limited Edition 2010.

Could you kindly confirm if you come across the crashing issue in InstallShield Limited Edition 2011.

You may download the latest version of InstallShield Limited Edition through the check for updates option.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
james_s_case
Level 2

VS2010 crashes all over the place after adding ISLE - I did "check for updates" and I am current.

I have tried to fix, but no luck. I see there are others in the same boat, so I will uninstall.
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi James,

I am currently looking into this issue.

Could you kindly let us know the exact steps which resulted in a crash. Also kindly let us know the add-ons which you have installed on your machine along with Visual Studio 2010.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
jim123
Level 3

I could not even open my solution after creating and building a setup project. As soon as I tried to open the solution VS2010 would crash. There is no "Check for updates" option on the Tools menu before I open the project and I can't open the solution.

I just downloaded and installed this yesterday (2011 version) and have had nothing but trouble with it. I had to delete and rebuild the setup project twice because it kept crashing VS2010.

I uninstalled InstallShield LE and deleted the InstallShield setup project and can now access my solution.

Now all I have to do is find a different, workable setup solution.

...Jim Hansen
Canyon Country Consulting
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Jim,

Could you kindly let us know the projects which you had added to the solution.

Also kindly let us know the addons which you had installed along with VisualStudio 2010 and the operating system on which visual studio 2010 is installed.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
jim123
Level 3

VS2010 Professional with C#, C++, VB and F# installed
Windows 7 x64 fully patched
VMWare 7 installed
No other addons of any kind other than InstallShield, not even VSTO
No Team stuff
No SP1 beta

VS2008 Professional also installed w/VSTO and an addon to update build numbers

Solution was previously upgraded from VS2008 and worked on with no problems before installing InstallShield LE
Solution is pure C# with 4 fairly small C# projects plus 2 MS Setup projects for x86 & x64
Targeted for .Net Framework 3.5 with the VB PowerPack 10 addition
Imported setup for x86 into a new Installshield setup project

Everything was working until I created the InstallShield project. No changes were made to the solution after installing the InstallShield addon other than trying to build a Setup. That succeeded on the third try once I worked out a few kinks with missing icons, but then I couldn't open the solution until I uninstalled InstallShield. The first two attempts resulted in crashes when I tried closing the InstallShield panels after trying to fix the icon issues. I finally deleted the InstallShield setup project and re-created it.

The third time I had the icons fixed before trying the build and had all the InstallShield panels closed before doing the build. After closing VS2010 and re-opening it the next morning, I was unable to open the solution without crashing VS2010. While all InstallShield panels were closed before closing VS, he InstallShield project was expanded in the Solution Explorer.

I opened another trivial test VS2010 solution that I had worked on earlier without any InstallShield setup projects and had no trouble.

...Jim Hansen
Canyon Country Consulting
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

Lenwin wrote:
Hi,
Thank you for providing the sample project.

The sample project which you have provided seems to be created using InstallShield Limited Edition 2010.

Could you kindly confirm if you come across the crashing issue in InstallShield Limited Edition 2011.

You may download the latest version of InstallShield Limited Edition through the check for updates option.

The project may have been created with IS2K10LE, but I'm currently running IS2K11LE. See the update window attached.

So the answer is yes, I come across the crashing issue in IS2K11LE. I just confirmed that it's still occurring by reloading the installer project and opening up a form in design mode.
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi rherrick,

I did try your sample project at my end. I was unable to replicate the crash.

Could you kindly create a new project in the 2011 Edition of InstallShield Limited Edition and let us know if the same crashing issue persists.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
Lenwin
Level 10

Hi Jim,

Thank you for providing us the details.

The crash issues are given very high priority and we will work as quickly as possible to troubleshoot and resolve this issue.

Could you kindly provide us a sample project which replicates the crash.

Kindly check your private message.

Regards,
Lenwin
0 Kudos
rherrick
Level 4

Lenwin,

I've already done that (see here) and didn't have the crash issue.

If the problem stems from using a project created using IS2K10LE under IS2K11LE, is there any way to migrate the project? I'd really rather not spend the couple hours it will take to recreate the project by hand.
0 Kudos