cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vnair68
Level 3

Installshield 2020 upgrade issues

Jump to solution

I have an Installshield script based project using the Installshield professional edition.  I am trying to upgrade from Installshield 2016 to Installshield 2020 R3.  I am running into 2 problems.

1. I went into installshield 2016, released my activation code back into my account and then put my activation code into my 2020 professional developer.  Each time I go in, it asks me to activate it, says its successfully activated but never seems to take.  What am I doing wrong?

2.  My project when built in 2016 had a setup.exe, autorun.inf, issetup.dll, data1.cab and a .msi file.  Now when I build in 2020 with the same settings I get an autorun.inf and a very large setup.exe file.  It appears that everything is going into the setup.exe file.  No matter what I do in creating a new release in the release wizard it builds just the large setup.exe file.  Again, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance Shawn

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Thanks for your response,

If you want you disk1 should look like earlier disk1 you need to change the media format to DVD10, which is a old format, since in our new version we have a network image of size unlimited all the cab files are compressed inside the setup.exe

To achieve you requirement, right click on release --> select release wizard --> Navigate to Media type dialog then change the media type to DVD10 --> on release configuration select compress all files --> on windows installer location dialog  select radio button (extract engine from setup.exe) click next and finish the dialog

Now you will get the disk1 as per you expectation,

I have attached the ism file as well the screenshot for your reference

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(10) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi vnair68,

The setup.exe might be compressed that is the reason you seeing only setup.exe not other files, it might be due to the activation is not successful, and IS2020 might building project is eval mode,  you can check that detail under Help --> About installshield 

If you are using IS216 activation code to activate IS2020 it wont work, you need to get IS2020 activation code.

Please reach out to the support team who will be able to help you with this activation issue - you can contact them directly via phone using number provided at this link: they will help you to solve this quickly.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/Support-Information/Support-Contacts/ta-p/94720 

0 Kudos

Got my new activation code and applied.  That solved the first problem.

The second problems still exists.  When I go through the release wizard these are my selections:

Release Wizard

Media type: Network Image
Release Configuration: Compress All Files
Setup launcher: All three items checked
Windows Installer Location: Extract from setup.exe
Local Machine: Cache installation on local machine not checked
Digital Signature: none
Password & Copyright: Use Custom Version Properties checked
Advanced Settings: Use long filenames, Optimize Size And Generate Autorun.inf all checked
Summary Screen: Click Finish and build

This gives me a setup.exe and an autorun.inf

What I want is: setup.exe, autorun.inf, issetup.dll, setup.isn, data1.cab and a .msi file

What selections in the wizard do I have to make to get this?  It worked in 2016 with the exact options I just selected.

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

What is your project type?

Could you please share the project ism file and the disk1 folder screenshot of old build and new build

0 Kudos

The project is an install script project

This post won't let me attach files.  I already told you what the old build and what the new build contained previously.  Why do you need a screenshot of the files when I listed the files already?  All the files are now being built into the setup.exe.

0 Kudos

I was able to upload the requested files today.  I zipped them up and that seemed to work

0 Kudos

Any update on the progress of this issue?

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Hi,

i have checked you ism file, you have set the compression to compressed that it the reason it shows only setup.exe, please try to set the compression to uncompressed and then try to build the project, 

you can find this option under releases -->  build --> compression (Refer screenshot attached)

Hope it helps

0 Kudos

After trying your suggestion, I'm getting the setup.exe, autorun.inf, issetup.dll, setup.isn but no data1.cab file.  All the files are now not put into one cab file but decompressed.  Is there a way to get this result except have the uncompressed files put into data1.cab file?  That is what Installshield 2016 gave me.

Thanks, Shawn

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator

Thanks for your response,

If you want you disk1 should look like earlier disk1 you need to change the media format to DVD10, which is a old format, since in our new version we have a network image of size unlimited all the cab files are compressed inside the setup.exe

To achieve you requirement, right click on release --> select release wizard --> Navigate to Media type dialog then change the media type to DVD10 --> on release configuration select compress all files --> on windows installer location dialog  select radio button (extract engine from setup.exe) click next and finish the dialog

Now you will get the disk1 as per you expectation,

I have attached the ism file as well the screenshot for your reference

0 Kudos

The changing to dvd-10 media format did the trick.  Thanks so much!

Shawn

0 Kudos