cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesMcelwee
Level 2

Installshield 2020 Registry

Jump to solution

Hello I am a beginner in the installshield world learning fast.

I need to prompt a user for an ip address and place that value in the registry.

can someone guide me on this Please?  I can use powershell to create the .reg file but if there is a better way using the registry portion of installshield that would be great.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution
conorhoran
Level 4

Hello,

If I were doing this I would create a Dialog with an input field to accept IP Address during the UI sequence and then store this value in a property.

You can then use this property in the registry section like below, I used USER_IPADDRESS as the property name in a quick example below.

registry_installshield.PNG

No custom script or action needed. You will need to familiarise yourself with dialogs though but there is a lot of information about these online and should be some examples you can copy.

Also, where possible I believe it is good practice to use the in-built actions for this kind of work because in the event of a rollback it will handle the removal of this key for you too. If you were to do this with VBScript, Powershell or any of your own custom actions then you would also need a rollback action to remove the key on install failure (assuming you want to follow best practice and clean reg during uninstall/rollback)

Good luck!

Conor

View solution in original post

(2) Replies
conorhoran
Level 4

Hello,

If I were doing this I would create a Dialog with an input field to accept IP Address during the UI sequence and then store this value in a property.

You can then use this property in the registry section like below, I used USER_IPADDRESS as the property name in a quick example below.

registry_installshield.PNG

No custom script or action needed. You will need to familiarise yourself with dialogs though but there is a lot of information about these online and should be some examples you can copy.

Also, where possible I believe it is good practice to use the in-built actions for this kind of work because in the event of a rollback it will handle the removal of this key for you too. If you were to do this with VBScript, Powershell or any of your own custom actions then you would also need a rollback action to remove the key on install failure (assuming you want to follow best practice and clean reg during uninstall/rollback)

Good luck!

Conor

Thank you for your help and pointing me in the right direction.  Much Appreciated

0 Kudos