cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Swilks
Level 5

Installshield 2020 R1 slow load times

I use Installshield for the installation of a handful of different software applications. These applications are not huge or complex and in most cases install a folder and some files and at the end launch one of those files.

Each software installation routine has a prerequisite (just .NET ) and 3-4 re-distributables.

I recently was forced to recompile the solutions under 2020 R1 and since have found the load time of the installation routines to be horribly unacceptable.

Most are taking 5-10 minutes just to load the Start dialog of the installation.

In a few instances of testing the COmputing Space requirements took 5-10 minutes also.

The prerequisite .Net has been installed on the destination workstation - so it should not be taking any time.

Can you please provide some guidance on how I can speed up the load times please or at least get some idea why or what part of the installation is taking such a long time to load.

This has only occurred since moving to 2020 R1 .

The same installation scripts compiled under a previous version of InstallShield some years ago load within 1 minute.

Thanks in advance

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Swilks ,

What is your project type? Basic MSI or installscript MSI or installscript?

Is this issue observed in all  machines or only specific machine?

Is the prq files are copied as part of installer or its downloading from web? 

Is your machine has enough free space, please verify the space.

Is your machine has any anti virus installed? If yes, then is your installer digitally signed? 

Please generate a installation verbose log and check the log for where log for where the delay happens.

If you are setup.exe is installscript, please follow below KB to generate log, it will generate a .bin file, you can share the bin file here.

https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge-Base/Logging-an-InstallScript-Project/ta-p/4322

0 Kudos
Swilks
Level 5

Apologies I should have provided that information to begin with

The solution is a Basic MSI project.

The problem has been experienced on 3 seperate workstations.

All have more than adequate disk space.

The release is a compressed Setup.exe (320mb)

The Setup.exe is Signed with a digital cert (pfx)

I will try running the setup.exe to generate a Bin file. If you had anything left to add to assist until then please do

0 Kudos
varul
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Swilks 

How many prq are added in your project? is your prq files are downloading from web or shipped as part of installer.

Could you please try to remove the prq files your project and try a build and install and verify how much it takes, 

If you face the same delay without prq as well, then

Please a raise case with support, Case will be  help us to assist over a call or teams meeting and which will help us to understand the issue in a better way.

Could you please navigate to Get Support > Open New Case in the top menu and open a new case to track this issue. That will allow us to best track this issue in order to best assist you. 

You can also raise a case by sending an  email at support@revenera.com

0 Kudos