Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danfic
Level 3

Installshield 2010 Pro Crashes on building InstallScript MSI Project

Hello guys,
this is my first post here. Nice to meet you 🙂

I have created a new InstallScript MSI project a couple of weeks ago and I have succesfully compiled and built it many times.

From yesterday, the InstallShield IDE crashes during building.

The last rows on the log file look like this:

[CODE][...]
ServiceControl table successfully built
ServiceInstall table successfully built
Started signing D9.tmp ...
Started signing DB.tmp ...
[/CODE]

I tried to create a new and simple InstallScript MSI project adding just one file: it crashes.

I tried to install IS2010 Pro on a clean system (Win XP SP3). I created a new project (InstallScript MSI): it crashes.

When ISDEV.exe crashes, the process remains in the Task Manager after the IS IDE has been closed: I have to kill it manually.

Please, help me.

My environment:
Windows XP SP3 32bit
Visual Studio 6
SQL Server 2000 Developer
Italian Language

Best regards.
Daniele.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(17) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

I'm not able to reproduce this behavior. Can you try creating a new InstallScript MSI project as a test, then add a file to it and try to build? Does this reproduce the behavior? If not, were there any recent changes made to the project?
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

joshstechnij wrote:
I'm not able to reproduce this behavior. Can you try creating a new InstallScript MSI project as a test, then add a file to it and try to build? Does this reproduce the behavior? If not, were there any recent changes made to the project?

Hi joshstechnij,
thank you for your interest.

As mentioned before, I have already tried to create a new project (InstallScript MSI), add a single file and build. It doesn't work, IS2010 crashes. This happens also on a clean XP SP3 system.

My last change to the project was adding a function to the script to test the existence of a database on SQL Server using a ADO connection. I tried to remove the function but the problem persists.

Also, I tried to restore last week backups of the project files that were working, but now doesn't.

Yes, I know, this is very strange, I don't know where to look for more.

The project was almost finished and the customer is waiting. Please, give me some idea/suggestion.

Thank you.
Daniele.
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

I did other tests on this problem.
This time I have installed IS2010 Pro on a clean WinXP SP2 system installed on a different real machine (the other tests did by me, mentioned above, were always on WinXP SP3 on real or virtual machines).

I created a little test InstallScript MSI project. As usual, IS2010 crashes on building.

The last rows of the log file are:
[CODE][...]
ActionText table successfully built
AppSearch table successfully built
BindImage table successfully built
CCPSearch table successfully built
Condition table successfully built
AppId table successfully built
[/CODE]

Technical details on error
:
Exception ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005)
at address 0x7c86f2fd trying to read address 0x07ad4000.

File : C:\Programmi\InstallShield\2010\System\isdev.exe
Version : 16.0.0.328
Exception : c0000005
Address : 7c86f2fd
Access Type : read
Access Address : 07ad4000

Registers : EAX=00010828 CS=001b EIP=7c86f2fd EFLGS=00010206
: EBX=07bd8278 SS=0023 ESP=00128db8 EBP=00128dc8
: ECX=00002fed DS=0023 ESI=07ad4000 FS=003b
: EDX=00150608 ES=0023 EDI=07c176f4 GS=0000

Stack Trace : 644e847a 04000000 00000000 00000000
: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

May it be useful?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Can you try building with the command line builder and create a verbose log (does this also crash)? The command line should be something like:
iscmdbld.exe -p "C:\Path\Project.ism" -a "Product Configuration Name" -r "Release Name" -v

Also, have you configured any source code control on these machines? Do any Basic MSI projects build on these machines?
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

joshstechnij wrote:
Can you try building with the command line builder and create a verbose log (does this also crash)? The command line should be something like:
iscmdbld.exe -p "C:\Path\Project.ism" -a "Product Configuration Name" -r "Release Name" -v

Also, have you configured any source code control on these machines? Do any Basic MSI projects build on these machines?

Ciao joshstechnij,
I did some tests. These log files are attached.

8-11-2009 09-14-15_Full_InstallScript_MSI_Verbose.txt is the verbose log file of the full project (yes, it crashes from the command line too).

Then, I did some test on a simple Basic MSI project.

• Added 1 exe file from Project Assistant (PA): crash
    (8-11-2009 09-18-25_Basic_MSI_1_exe_file_ProjectAssistant_crash.txt)

• Removed the exe and added 1 txt file from Installation Designer (ID): ok
    (8-11-2009 09-21-47_Basic_MSI_1_txt_file_InstallationDesigner_ok.txt and 8-11-2009 09-30-43_Basic_MSI_1_txt_file_InstallationDesigner_Verbose_ok.txt)

• Removed the txt and added 1 exe file from ID: ok
    (8-11-2009 09-33-06_Basic_MSI_1_exe_file_InstallationDesigner_ok.txt)

• Removed the exe and added again from PA: crash
    (8-11-2009 09-33-49_Basic_MSI_1_exe_file_ProjectAssistant_crash.txt)

• Removed the exe and added 1 txt from PA: ok
    (8-11-2009 09-38-06_Basic_MSI_1_txt_file_ProjectAssistant_ok.txt)

Notes:

• A source code control is configured only on my machine and howsoever not on folders used by IS.
  • Often I have a file manager opened on IS project folder or subfolders, but IS crashes even when the file manager is closed.
  • My antivirus is Norton 360 v2.5
  • The exe file used in my full project (even for the Basic MSI test project) is compressed using PECompact 1.84.
  • Meanwhile, I'm converting the full InstallScript MSI project to a pure InstallScript one: it looks not have stability problems.

Thank you again for your help.
I hope this will be usefeul.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

As next steps, we would recommend trying the following tests:
- Turn off signing, if enabled, in the release(s) you are building, then try building again
- Move the project to a different location or create a new test project in a folder such as C:\test, then open and build the project from that location (also ensure the release is building to a local path).
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

joshstechnij wrote:
As next steps, we would recommend trying the following tests:
- Turn off signing, if enabled, in the release(s) you are building, then try building again

Signing is not enabled (Release view -> Product configuration -> MyRelease -> Signing tab: all fields are empty).

joshstechnij wrote:

- Move the project to a different location or create a new test project in a folder such as C:\test, then open and build the project from that location (also ensure the release is building to a local path).

I had already tried to do that: doesn't work.
Anyway, I tried again now. I moved my full MSI project to c:\Test as showed in the attached image.

Compiling (CTRL+F7) I obtain this error:

ISDEV : fatal error -6196: Unable to update setup.inx in the existing media

I tried to delete the non .rul files from Script Files subdir and to remove and to add again the scripts from InstallScript view but the error persists in both cases.

Building it crashes again.

As mentioned above, I am trying to convert the MSI project to a pure InstallScript project. I used the Project Converters tool. Now I am doing several manual adjustments.

When is called the function SQLRTInitialize2 into the OnSQLServerInitialize event, is showed the Directory Browse window looking for the SQLRT.rul file (see attached image). This happens anytime is called a function into the SQLRT library.

Daniele.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

One thing worth checking is that you have sufficient disk space available on the partition/network share where you build your project.

I had similar problems with IS 2010 crashing when I was out of disk space on my project network share.
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

Hysteresis wrote:
One thing worth checking is that you have sufficient disk space available on the partition/network share where you build your project.

I had similar problems with IS 2010 crashing when I was out of disk space on my project network share.

Hysteresis, thank you for your reply.
My IS projects and builds are all on a local partition with a lot of free space.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion.
0 Kudos
weintdm1
Level 2

IS kept on crashing for me yesterday, sometimes just when I clicked on an item in Installation Designer. This is a Script project, with an XML file.

As I'm an ignorant newbie (this is my first IS project, and I took the course almost a year ago), I did not post the crash info, but if it crashes today, I'll see if I can gather data to add to this thread.

Dave
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Dave

Interesting you're seeing that crash in the Installation Designer. IS crashed for me too when selecting the Project Assistant tab - that's all I did. Thankfully it hasn't done it again so far. IS2010 I have to say seems more flaky than previous versions.

Cheers
Nigel
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

Hi Dave and Nigel,
I too have had sporadic crashes before the systematic ones that occur during building. They occurred clicking somewhere (I don't remember where) in the IDE.

I hope you'll have better luck 🙂
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

joshstechnij, any news?
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Hello,

IS crashes signing cab which is over 1 GB , too.
So, I can only sign setup.exe
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

After verifying this, signing should make no difference during build as the signing is always done by another process that InstallShield launches; any failure in that process would be isolated.

With regards to product crashes, if you are able to provide a set of steps that will reproduce the behavior that we can use, it would be possible to determine the cause of the crash and come up with a workaround or fix for the issue. Unfortunately, without consistently reproducable behavior, we don't have much to go on as to where failures could be occurring. We have IS 2010 installed in a number of environments and none are able to reproduce any build crashes with InstallScript MSI projects.

Note that SQLRT.rul is located in C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\Script\ISRT\src. If you are debugging the setup with the InstallScript debugger and you are trying to step into the SQLRT functions, it is expected that the debugger will prompt for the location of SQLRT.rul.
0 Kudos
danfic
Level 3

joshstechnij,
Thank you for what you did.
I am on vacation now and during the next week. I will at work from august 24. I will try to provide you a set of steps of a simple InstallScript MSI project. Please, tell me if you need of other infos.

Ciao,
Daniele.
0 Kudos
Munisha
Level 2

joshstechnij wrote:

hi
I have a query,this is my first query.
I am trying to launch a application using another application with the help of LaunchAppandWait function.
Parameter i am passing as
LaunchAppandWait("exe name'',"/GUI=No /File"+"suppoted exe name",WAIT);
While running i am getting exception code c0000005 error and if i try launch with same parameter manually through command prompt iam able to launch the exe and it is happening in windows7 OS.
Anyone can help please.
0 Kudos