cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coedindigo
Level 5

Installing form command line?

I am using IS2008 install script project.

I have object embedded in my main IS project which installs the driver for the application. In that object i want to specific installer using command line.
For example i want to execute following line of code

msiexec /quiet /i TARGETDIR^ABC.msi INSTALLSDK=0

how would i do this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

Look at the help for the LaunchAppAndWait function.
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

Eric,
I tried using LaunchAppAndWait as follows:

LaunchAppAndWait(TARGETDIR ^"Drivers\\A\\ABC.exe",
"/i /qn INSTALLSDK=0", WAIT);

Its not launching the application. I am not sure whether i am using it correctly.Its giving me some window indicating that it failed.

How would i use msiexec /quiet /i TARGETDIR^abc.exe INSTALLSDK=0 using LaunchAppAndWait?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Are you trying to install an MSI or launch and EXE? If you are trying to install an MSI then use:

LaunchAppAndWait ("MsiExec.exe", "/quiet /i TARGETDIR^ABC.msi INSTALLSDK=0
", nOptions );

You may need to pass the full path to MSIEXEC, but this should work.
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

Eric,

I am trying to use .EXE , i dont have MSI file.
Whats the work around for the EXE file? I mean are there are any different switches ?

thanks for the help
I really appreciate it.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Make sure the EXE is where you think it is when you try to lauch it. Try using a MessageBox to display the path to the EXE you are using. Then try to locate the file and see if it is where you say it is. Odds are it is not and that is causing your problem.
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

Eric,

Its launching the right exe from the TARGETDIR, problem is its an EXE file not MSI file so its failing to open that file saying that invalid Windows installer, so the command that you have given should work for EXE as well or there are different command for EXE file? I dont have MSI version of the file.

Thanks again
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I'm confused, what file do you want to launch?
0 Kudos
coedindigo
Level 5

I want to launch SDK installer which is actually an exe file not an MSI file. I want to do silent install on this file.

If i try to launch it with msiexec then windows gives me error saying that invalid installer package. So i was just wondering what is the command i need to use instead of msiexec.

sorry for the confusion. I hope this makes it more clear.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

If you are trying to launch an EXE then replace MSIEXEC with the path to the EXE. I think you indicated in a previous post that you tried this but got an error. What was that error?
0 Kudos