cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twinbee
Level 3

Installer pops when application runs

I have the following problem when I try to install/run an application with UAC:

1) If I disable UAC and install, the application would run properly after installation
2) If I switch on UAC, then run the application that I had just installed, when I click on some buttons on the GUI of the application, a pop-up with a progress bar would show. It was as if an installation process was triggered.
3) When that process was triggered, if I hit [Cancel] the application would continue to function.

Has anyone encountered this problem? I am reading up on UAC, any hint would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Assuming you are working with a Windows Installer based project (Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI), this is likely a Windows Installer auto repair operation being triggered. More information can be found in the following articles:
INFO: Description of Resiliency in Windows Installer
Searching for a Broken Feature or Component
0 Kudos
MSIYER
Level 8

This happens when some component that Windows Installer installed gets corrupted. Allow Windows Installer to repair the application and see if the issue gets resolved. You can then view the log and see what was actually repaired. The log file can be found in some random directory in %temp%.

One of the basic reasons for having Windows Installer as a SERVICE is that it can constantly monitor the health of apps it installed.
0 Kudos