cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noahsw
Level 3

Installer link to Windows Imaging Components not found!

I tried installing my app on XP and it attempted to download Windows Imaging Components. It then complained that it couldn't find http://saturn.installshield.com/is/prerequisites/windows%20imaging%20components%20(x86).prq.

Sure enough, that link is dead!

Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

I tested it with InstallShield 2011 Express, but it was not reproducible. I simply created a new Express project, and add the Windows Imaging Component (x86) prerequisite. The Windows Imaging Component was downloaded and installed succesfully. Could you provide detailed reproduction steps?
0 Kudos
noahsw
Level 3

The weird thing is I never set WIC as a pre-req. The installer simply decided this was needed on an XP machine. When it tried to download the WIC components, it complained that it couldn't find that URL.

Sorry - I wish I had better repro steps...
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Do you include any other prerequisites in your project?
0 Kudos
noahsw
Level 3

Only the .NET 4 Client Profile.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you create a new project from scratch, and add the Windows Imaging Component (x86) prerequisite, is the problem reproducible?
0 Kudos
noahsw
Level 3

The error only happens when I *don't* set WIC as a pre-req. When I do this, the installer still says that WIC is needed and it goes to the web to download it. That's when it tries fetching that broken link.

What is telling the installer that WIC is needed?

If I manually set WIC as a pre-req, then yes, it installs fine.

Does that make sense?
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Actually, it does. I've found that if .NET 3.5 SP1 (which is what we required before) is not installed on a machine, and we install .NET 4.0, the operating system will require the WIC component.
0 Kudos
noahsw
Level 3

Okay - so it sounds like I should bundle the WIC component with my installer just in case then. Correct?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

From the help (What’s New in InstallShield 2010 Express Edition Expansion Pack for Visual Studio 2010😞
The .NET Framework 4.0 requires Windows Installer 3.1 or later, as well as the Windows Imaging Component. Therefore, the .NET Framework 4.0 Full prerequisites are configured to have dependencies for the following InstallShield prerequisites:
*Windows Installer 3.1 (x86)
*Windows Imaging Component (x86)
*Windows Installer 3.1 for Windows Server 2003 SP1 (x86)
*Windows Imaging Component (x64)
*Windows Installer 3.1 for Windows Server 2003 SP1 (IA64)
*Windows Installer 3.1 for Windows Server 2003 SP1 (x64)
*Windows Installer 3.1 for Windows XP (x64)

In addition, the .NET Framework 4.0 Client prerequisites are configured to have dependencies for the following InstallShield prerequisites:
*Windows Installer 3.1 (x86)
*Windows Imaging Component (x86)
*Windows Installer 3.1 for Windows Server 2003 SP1 (x86)
*Windows Imaging Component (x64)
*Windows Installer 3.1 for Windows Server 2003 SP1 (x64)
*Windows Installer 3.1 for Windows XP (x64)

Thus, if you add any of the .NET Framework 4.0 prerequisites to your project, InstallShield also adds prerequisites for Windows Installer and Windows Imaging Component to your installation automatically by default.

So, you don't need to manually add the WIC prerequisite to your project. You'll see WIC listed as a dependency of .NET Framework 4 if you click the .NET Framework 4 prerequisite in the Redistributables view, and then review the Details pane. (If the Details pane is hidden, you may need to click the Show Details button.)

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
lakegastonlife
Level 3

Trying to include the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package and it tells me that it is not on my system or a new one is available and do I want to download it.

Every time I try I get "The Download Failed; make sure you are running as Administrator, would you like to try again"?

I am an Aministrator, how do I get the prerequisite to download?

If this is not part of the free version, than how do I use the 2010 Redistributables that came with Visual Studio 2010?

Very confused?

BobVal
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

lakegastonlife,

The documentation includes a help topic called "Launching InstallShield with vs. Without Administrative Privileges." That help topic explains the download error that you described. Since this is the Express forum, here's a link to the Express edition version of that help topic:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/isxhelp17/launchingIS.htm

The Limited edition of InstallShield is always run from within Visual Studio, so the Limited edition will always have the privilege level that Visual Studio has. By default, if you launch Visual Studio by double-clicking its shortcut on a Windows Vista or later system, you will not have administrative privileges, so the Limited edition will also not have administrative privileges. The procedure at the bottom of that help topic explains how to launch Visual Studio (and InstallShield) with administrative privileges.
0 Kudos