Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
armaganpekatik
Level 3

Installer enters maintenance mode instead of upgrade

Hello

I have a product installed with 

ProductCode = A; UpgradeCode = B;version=6.6.0300

I have created new installer with same values but version is 6.6.0304 and in the Upgrades section I have added thisPC-installar.PNG

But the Installer enters maintenance mode instead of upgrading current installation

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @armaganpekatik ,

Since end-range might be unknown,why not with "Any Earlier Version" option?

I would suggest you to run with msi logging enabled via command-line Setup.exe /l*v "C:\Tmp\TmpLog.log".Log file can tell you more in detail,if possible attach here as well.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

@Jenifer 

I don't want to upgrade previous versions older than 6.6.0300

I see this in the log file
Product registered: entering maintenance mode 

but I see this in another log that successfully upgrades. 

0 Kudos

Hi @armaganpekatik ,

I think you are trying to do minor-upgrade,since you want to upgrade from 6.6.0300->6.6.0304.

• Did you create Minor-upgrade entry by Navigating to upgrades view->RC on Upgrade Windows Installer Setup->New minor upgrade item
  • In the Setup to upgrade field:You have to select 6.6.0300's MSI path on which you want to create upgrade for.
  • Now build and try,you might be asked upgrade message box based on type of project you are using.

In Major upgrade cases you have to create new product code as in the above reply.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

@Jenifer hi again

My current configuration is 

same upgrade code
same product code
different product name:  X Product (6.6.0300) => X Product(6.6.0304) 
different package code 
higher version number
upgrades any earlier versions that matching upgrade code. 

Result: The installation throws an error looking for previous installer in the temp folder. 

Then I found that it is working if I change msi package name to old version name, the installer doesn't throw any error but still I see previous name in the add or remove program. 

If I try to use different product code it doesn't upgrade. I can not understand that behavior. I am reading document but it is acting differently.

0 Kudos

Hi @armaganpekatik ,

I am bit confused here,can you tell us what exactly you are trying to achieve?Please comment all the steps that you had configured which would really save your time.If the requirement is clear that could help us as well.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

@Jenifer 

I need to create a major upgrade. 

The things that I have changed

1) Product Name
2) Product Code
3) Package Code
4) Upgrades part : Products sharing my upgrade code is selected and any earlier version is selected as well.

Installer does upgrade, but it shows standart installation window and doesn't prompt. Even prompt is selected in the upgrades screen.  

0 Kudos

Hi @armaganpekatik ,

I am not getting why product-name change is required.

• Prompt is only meant for Small/Minor upgrades not for Major upgrade.

Few actions those are related to Major upgrades:

1.  At run time, the standard MSI action FindRelatedProducts reads the records in the Upgrade table, and, if a related product is found, the product code for that product is added to the action property.
  2. FindRelatedProducts is by default placed early in both the User Interface and Execute sequences.
  3. The MigrateFeatureStates action (if appropriate) attempts to migrate the feature-selection states from an installed product version to the newer version.
  4. Finally, the standard RemoveExistingProducts action reads the product codes stored in the Upgrade table action property, and in effect performs silent nested uninstallation actions on those products.
  5. The RemoveExistingProducts action can be placed in different locations to define different types of upgrade
    behavior.
  6. In short, placing RemoveExistingProducts early in the Execute sequence instructs Windows Installer to completely remove the existing product data before installing the new product.
    1. Placing RemoveExistingProducts late in the Execute sequence causes the upgrade to install the new product data, and then remove old data.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hello I found this comes form "Generate Package Code" was 'NO' before. Now I have changed it to yes and it fixed. I think same Package Code should not be used.  

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

@armaganpekatik

You have mentioned that you have created the new installer with the same values, but only changed the version.
To create a Major Upgrade you also need to change the ProductCode.

There is a great explanation of what needs to change for each upgrade type available in a table at the bottom of this article:
https://docs.flexera.com/installshield26helplib/helplibrary/MajorMinorSmall.htm?

hope this helps,

0 Kudos