cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joerg_arnold
Level 3

Installdir depending on Operating System

Hallo,

I am new to Installshield. I found nothing on the forums/internet and tried to find out myself. I have to build a package which discerns between Win7 and Win10. With Windows 7 everything has to be thrown in one folder on 😧 and create a service. With Windows 10 the files are split up between PROGRAMFILESFOLDER\INSTALLDIR2 and the same folder for Win7 on D:. The exe-file used for the service under Win10 now lies in a subfolder of PROGRAMFILESFOLDER\INSTALLDIR2. 

I have tried to create seperate features with the Condition VersionNT=601 for Win7 and VersionNT=1000 for Win10 respectively and defining for each feature a different destination. But it doesn't work for Win10. Under Win10 everything goes to 😧 (which is the default INSTALLDIR defined under General Information -> INSTALLDIR). This project file as it is for now would move everything either to D:\ or PROGRAMFILESFOLDER\INSTALLDIR2.

so my 2 questions here are:

1. how do I properly make the Setup behaviour OS dependent?
  2. how do I split up the destination folders while assuring the service is still installed and working with any configuration?

Please advise. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
(2) Replies
tjohnson1
Technical Writer
Technical Writer

VersionNT detects Windows 10 as 603, the following KB article provides a workaround to detect only Windows 10 (https://community.flexera.com/t5/InstallShield-Knowledge/Identifying-Windows-10-with-MSI/ta-p/4166). This should allow you to properly condition the custom action to update INSTALLDIR.
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @joerg_arnold ,

Hope you got answer for first question,answering to your second question?

• how do I split up the destination folders while assuring the service is still installed and working with any configuration?
  • Split can happen with component based installation so that INSTALLDIR can vary between components
  • Say you create feature condition with VersionNT value 601 & 603 and add components to it
  • Change component INSTALLDIR of components and add file to those for  which you need a split

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos