Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
areatza
Level 3

Installation

Hello

I have a few questions.

I have an installer “A” which installs two other applications, and the only entrance that remains in Add \ Remove Programs is the "A".
I installed the version 1, and everything's fine. If uninstall this version from Add \ Remove Programs, or from the same setup to install any problem. But:

1. I did the version 2, and on a machine with has installed version 1 I introduce the new version and run setup. What happens is that it makes an update, no uninstall and reinstall. And this is a problem.

2. Another problem, I am going to uninstall but one program is running. The unistall is not doing well (there is a program running, is logical), but the problem is that the uninstaller has not said anything.

These problems are the ones who have asked me to resolve…

Any idea?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
BernardC
Level 4

Hi,

For point 1) , your application 1 is not uninstalled because your new installation (application 2) is not a major upgrade . Just modify your application Product Code with new guid to make your new installer a major upgrade.

Bernard.
0 Kudos
areatza
Level 3

BernardC wrote:
Hi,

For point 1) , your application 1 is not uninstalled because your new installation (application 2) is not a major upgrade . Just modify your application Product Code with new guid to make your new installer a major upgrade.

Bernard.

thanks Bernard about my point 2) I resolve it, I tried it, and the installshield said that a program is runing, and we can retry, ignore or cancel. If we choose ignore, it does not install well...

About point 1) I saw that appears a screen that said it will be made an update. If I selecc "Yes" it does not work well, it does not update the files. What can I keep appearing that screen?
0 Kudos
BernardC
Level 4

If your new installer perform a major upgrade it should first unsinstall previous version of your application (cf my previous answer).

Bit if it does not (minor upgrade, this means you did not change Product Code) , if files are not updated, this could mean that your file versions are not managed correctly (increasing file version is a requirement, Windows Installer does not deal with dates like it is with Installscript projects) .
If some of your files cannot be versioned, you need to associate versioned "Companions files" for those files (typically .txt or any other kind of file with no version).

Bernard.
0 Kudos