cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tdawson817
Level 2

Installation not going to INSTALLDIR on changed directory

Hi,

I've got a relatively simple installation (Basic MSI Project) that I am trying to click on the Change button to change the INSTALLDIR. I can see that the INSTALLDIR changes on the clicking of this button, and I don't see anywhere in the installation that I change it back, but in spite of this the files that I am moving onto the target system are going to the default directory. INSTALLDIR is created, but no files go there. (I have attempted to change TARGETDIR as well to try to get around this problem, but no luck there either) INSTALLDIR is used at the end of the application and in the script, it remains the directory that I changed it to.

-Tim
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This could occur if you are changing the folder path after CostFinalize and the method used to change the path sets the INSTALLDIR property instead of setting the target path (SetTargetPath control event or MsiSetTargetPath through a custom action).
0 Kudos
Sairen
Level 7

First, I'd recommend a verbose log so you can see exactly what directories are changing and when instead of trying to infer it.

Second, be sure that the folders your files should be installing to actually are children of the INSTALLDIR directory. I find the easiest way to verify this is in the Direct Editor, Directory table.

The table might look something like:
Directory / Directory_Parent / DefaultDir
APPNAME / ProgramFilesDir / MyApplicationName
INSTALLDIR / APPNAME / .
SUBFOLDER1 / INSTALLDIR / Subfolder1
SUBFOLDER2 / INSTALLDIR / Subfolder2

where C:\Program Files\MyApplicationName\Subfolder1 is an example of a path you're installing to.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos