cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Twinbee
Level 3

Installation does not abort when UAC is off

Hello,

When I try to run my installer as Guest without admin privilege, and UAC is off, the installer skips all the prerequisites and does not abort itself although I set the release to require Administrator. Is there something else I need to set?

Behavior of the installer when UAC is ON and I log on as GUEST:
1. I double click on setup.exe
2. UAC dialog pops up and asks me for Admin password.
.. .. If I don't give password, installation aborts <-- This is what I want to happen
.. .. If I give password, installation proceeds <-- This is what I want to happen
3. Installer displays the prerequisites screen, and so on...

Behavior of the installer when UAC is OFF and I log on as GUEST:
1. I double click on setup.exe
2. The installer starts with the prerequisites screen. <-- I don't want this, I want the installer to abort.
3. I click on Install
4. -> An information message box pops, saying, "Another instance of this setup is already running. Please wait for the other instance to finish and then try again." <-- This is strange because I didn't start another installation process.
5. I click OK to dismiss the message box. At this point, the installer apparently aborted. But...
6. After about 10 seconds, the Welcome screen of the installer pops, as if the installer had just finished installing the prerequisites.
7. I go to control panel to see if the prerequisites were installed, and they are not.
8. At this point, if I click Next, the installation will continue. But I want the installer to have aborted already back in step 2.

How do I make it abort when UAC is OFF and the user does not run as admin?

Thank you for your help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
ElenaN
Level 6

To avoid such issue I added custom action that checks if user is admin and if not sets special property (let’s call it USER_NON_ADMIN). Then I added Error Custom Action with condition USER_NON_ADMIN which asks user to log on as an administrator and retry the installation.
0 Kudos