cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottd72
Level 7

Warning 1910 with latest NVIDIA drivers!

It seems that if you have the latest nvidia drivers installed you will get the following warning on uninstall if your application installed any desktop shortcuts:

Warning 1910. Could not remove shortcut . Verify that the shortcut file exists and that you can access it.

The shortcut may or may not get removed after the warning - I'm not sure what factor determines if it gets removed or not. In my testing I've seen my large applications leave the desktop shortcut behind, while a new, small test install will sill remove the shortcut.

I've seen this issue only on Win 7 x64 machines so far, but I've read in other forums that people are seeing it in Win 8 also.

Has anyone else seen this, and more importantly, does anyone know how to resolve this?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
HakanSahin
Level 2

Same problem occurred for my last installation project for me... There was no problem for this project before.

I saw this message and then checked the different version of nvidia drivers (latest version 306.97 and one of previous version) in different computer. Problem occurs in version 306.97.

I updated previous version of nvidia to driver 306.97. Same problem occurred at updated computer.

I also looked at this problem in installshield sample project named "Othello" . (I opened it, created a desktop shortcut, setup and uninstalled). Same problem occurred in version 306.97 nvidia driver.

I checked this issue on win 7 x64

Any suggestion?
0 Kudos
dpotter
Level 3

scottd72 wrote:

Has anyone else seen this, and more importantly, does anyone know how to resolve this?

I'm having the same issue.
- InstallShield Spring 2012
- Windows 7 x64
- NVidia drivers 306.97
0 Kudos
ghendric
Level 2

I'm having the same issue. I updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest version 310.90 and it did not fix the problem..
0 Kudos
ElenaN
Level 6

Same problem is being discussed in this topic: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/09f72e05-f43f-4e7e-81b6-f81c1b60dc6c

For me next entry was useful:
It appears that repro machines that have a desktop.ini with read-only attribute set on it results in the message on uninstall appearing. If the read-only attribute is removed the message wont appear. For a per-machine installed package the desktop.ini of interest would be located here: :\Users\Public\Public Desktop\.

I added Custom Action that removes read-only attribute from public desktop.ini before uninstallation. I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it works.
0 Kudos
scottd72
Level 7

ElenaN wrote:
Same problem is being discussed in this topic: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/thread/09f72e05-f43f-4e7e-81b6-f81c1b60dc6c

For me next entry was useful:
It appears that repro machines that have a desktop.ini with read-only attribute set on it results in the message on uninstall appearing. If the read-only attribute is removed the message wont appear. For a per-machine installed package the desktop.ini of interest would be located here: :\Users\Public\Public Desktop\.

I added Custom Action that removes read-only attribute from public desktop.ini before uninstallation. I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it works.

When I remove the read-only flag from desktop.ini I no longer get the warning message. In order to view that file I had to set, in folder options, "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" to Unchecked. Thanks for the info!
0 Kudos