cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrbaranovskiy
Level 2

InstallShield reboot, ExitWindowEx vs InitiateSystemShutdown.

I'm trying to find out the function which InstallShield calls to reboot the system.

I've written the API hooker and find that one of the installers called ExitWindowEx.

Does anybody know, if ExitWindowsEx or ExitWindows function is called in any case . (iI would be great if you know where to find the documental evidence)

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

InstallShield doesn't call any functions to reboot the system. By the time you link and compile into, say an MSI file, and run that - it is no longer under any sort of control of InstallShield. At that point you are running under the context of MSIEXEC.EXE and MSI.DLL. It is this Microsoft code which sends any sort of command to reboot the system.

Chad
0 Kudos
mrbaranovskiy
Level 2

chad.petersen wrote:
InstallShield doesn't call any functions to reboot the system. By the time you link and compile into, say an MSI file, and run that - it is no longer under any sort of control of InstallShield. At that point you are running under the context of MSIEXEC.EXE and MSI.DLL. It is this Microsoft code which sends any sort of command to reboot the system.

Chad

That's what I meant.. Just trying to figure out if there is some common way how Windows installer calls the system reboot.

As I mentioned about I hooked the ExitWindowEx function call, but still not sure if it would be called everytime when system is rebooted.

So, maybe I need to ask the Microsoft support.

Sorry for confusing.

Thanks,
0 Kudos