cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gkriggs
Level 6

InstallShield lets install continue even though not Admin

Hello,

We only want users with local administrator or domain administrator rights to be allowed to install our product. InstallShield displays a dialog warning you that the install may not work correctly unless you switch to an admin account. However, it will still allow you to continue the install as a non-admin user. We would prefer that the dialog just say that admin rights are required and NOT allow the install to continue. Does anyone know of a way to make InstallShield require admin rights (rather than just optionally requiring admin rights)?

Here are some more details: In the Intsall Shield IDE I have set the following settings:

In the "Installation Designer -> Installation Information -> General Information -> Summary Information Stream" property page, I have set the "Require Administrative Privileges" to Yes.

In the "Installation Designer -> Media -> Releases -> Production Configuration 1 -> Release 1 -> Setup.exe" property page, I have set the "Required Execution Level" to Administrator.

On Windows XP SP2, when a domain user (with no admin rights) tries to install our product, Install Shield displays a dialog with title "Install Program As Other User" and message "Some programs will not install correctly if you do not have administrator priveleges on this computer. If you know the password to an administrative account, you can use that account to intsall the program". It then gives you radio button option where you can choose to continue the install using the non-admin account you are currently logged in as.

Does InstallShield have another option somewhere to require admin rights that I am missing?

Thanks,
Greg
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
irenejia
Level 4

If so, I suggest you to use conditions to end the installation. For basic MSI project, property Privileged indicates admin account, if false, go to setupcompleteerror dialog. For InstallScript and InstallScript MSI projects, use Is(USER_ADMINISTRATOR,"").
0 Kudos
gkriggs
Level 6

Thanks, I'll give that a try, but I think that check would come too late. Unforutnetly, the problem is occuring before it installs the prerequisites. I did select the 'requires administrator' option on each of my prerequisites, but InstallShield's boot strap installer is still allowing the user to attempt to install the prequisites.

Thanks,
Greg
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The Requires Administrator option only applies to systems with UAC (Vista and later). And of course Vista muddies the waters in terms of detecting when one really had administrative privileges, at least with Basic MSI projects with the recommended As Invoker setting.

I'm not certain, but I believe the dialog you describe is actually put up by Windows itself. InstallShield does not put up such a dialog by default, although your setup could have one in it (although if so, like you mention, it would only show up after prerequisites).

If you have very specialized needs like this, it may be best to consider "wrapping" setup.exe with a custom bootstrap which gives the error you require rather than launching setup.
0 Kudos
gkriggs
Level 6

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone know of an example wrapper (or 3rd party company that sells a wrapper) I could use to wrap the setup.exe that InstallShield creates?
Thanks,
Greg
0 Kudos