cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cnpitroda
Level 5

Can we stop windows from shuttingdown?

Hi can we detect that windows is going to be shutting down and can we stop that shutdown?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
TheTraveler
Level 8

Before I answer this question, I need to ask one.

Q) Is the installation shutting down or restarting the computer?

Q) Or is it that you have an installation that is calling another installation and that installation is wanting to do a shutdown?

In other words, I need to now the circumstances of why the shutdown is happeneing?
0 Kudos
cnpitroda
Level 5

TheTraveler wrote:
Before I answer this question, I need to ask one.

Q) Is the installation shutting down or restarting the computer?

- Whenever product is installed and someone uninstalls it by double clicking the setup.exe at that time first of all the product will be uninstalled and then after uninstall to continue instalation i am restarting the machine.

Q) Or is it that you have an installation that is calling another installation and that installation is wanting to do a shutdown?

- I am creating a registry key in Runonce in which i m writing the setup.exe path so in when windows restarts it can run the setup. Is there any way to continue installation after uinstallation?

In other words, I need to now the circumstances of why the shutdown is happeneing?

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
TheTraveler
Level 8

It sounds that you are installing other third party software before installing your own and that the third party software is requiring a reboot?

Well, here are some things you can try.
1) See if there is a merge module for the components you need. You can control when your installation reboots.

2) If a merge module is not available, see if there is a white paper that will allow you to integrate the software into your product. This, again will allow you to control the reboot situation.

3) If this is third party application, then you might want to consider having the user install it before you install your product. Have your installation test the existence of the software is installed before continuing your installation. This method puts a little more work on the user, but this does do two things. It informs the user what software is being installed and the user is then responsible for maintaining the version of the software.
0 Kudos