cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Naveed
Level 6

InstallShield Prerequisites

I want my Basic MSI installer to check if following softwares exist on target machine, before installation:

1. SQL Server 2008
2. .NET Framework 3.5
3. WSE 3.0

If they exist, setup should continue. It any of these is missing, setup should inform the user showing list of missing components and exit setup. I don't need to install prerequisites as part of the installer.

Please guide me, what is the best way to do this?

Thanks.
Naveed
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
pavanred
Level 4

InstallShield provides the prerequisites functionality. You can use this in your MSI project. This would ensure that these prerequisites are only installed if they are not already present in the target machine.

If you do not want to include these components (SQL Server 2008, .NET Framework 3.5, WSE 3.0) into your installer then you can use the redistributable setup installer.
For e.g. .net 3.5 redistributable setup installer is about 3MB and when this is included into the prerequisites of your InstallShiled project then the installer will check if .net 3.5 framework is already installed on the target machine and if not it will prompt the user and download the entire .net 3.5 framework and install it.

I am not sure about Sql Server 2008 and WSE 3.0 but I am guessing they must have redistributable installers like .net 3.5 framework as well.
0 Kudos
Naveed
Level 6

Thanks for your reply. pavanred!

Actually, I don't have to install prerequisities. I just need to check whether they are present or not? And just show the message to user.

Is there a way to check for this?
0 Kudos
BosboolA
Level 2

You can do this from the "Pre-requisite Editor" dialog. In one tab, you can specify the behavior of your installation if the condition (prerequisite) is not met and one of the options is to abort the installation.
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

If you are OK with displaying a message box containing your requirements, you can use the System Search view to set up a search for each application by using a registry or specific file. Then use the properties that you set up with those in some Install Condition(s) in the General Information view. You should be able to enter text in your messages that will appear when any of the required applications is not present.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
sandeep_madhu14
Level 6

the best way to check prerequisites availability is :

1)First install manually the prerequisites you want to check at client machine in testing machine.

2)next find the registry values in registry

3)in installscript check through that registry key and value.
if the registry key is already available give user message
else
ask them to install the prerequisites.

thanks
madhu
0 Kudos
Naveed
Level 6

Thanks everyone!

I got it. I run system search to find the required software on target system. I get version information in properties and use them in install conditions. I check registry entries to verify the presence of software.
0 Kudos
allenmaki
Level 2

I have the same problem like you. If I did not mess anything; you do not have to do anything to check anything. The setup will check and will tell you (end user) what you need. If you can see my question to the forum, you would see that I was stating that an error message informed the end user's computer that .net framework (v2.0.5075)is needed to be installed.
0 Kudos