cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adrnola
Level 2

InstallShield 2016 + ISCab.exe Issues

Hello fellow InstallShield Developers –

We recently purchased InstallShield 2016 Premier Edition: InstallShield2016SP1PremierComp.exe

Prior to that we had a copy of InstallShield 2010 Premier Edition, InstallShield 2008 Premier Edition, and InstallShield 6.31.

We updated our InstallShield project over the years: 6.31 to 2008 to 2010 to 2016. Upgrading the ISM file to 2016 seems to have gone without any issue (0 errors, 0 warnings reported by InstallShield IDE).

However, our build system uses ISCab.exe which InstallShield has dropped since InstallShield 2010 version. We continued to use the ISCab.exe form InstallShield 2008 in our build system as we had the license for InstallShield 2008.

Now that we have upgraded to InstallShield 2016 Premier Edition ISCab.exe it is no longer working within our build system. When it comes to use the ISCab.exe a pop-up dialog appears saying "ISCab has stopped working - A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you when a solution is available."

We use ISCab.exe version 14.0.0.162

I have tried, but was unsuccessful:
- “Troubleshoot compatibility” issues via the context menu for ISCab.exe.
- Edited the “compatibility mode” to Windows XP (Serivice Pack 3) and Windows Vista (Service Pack 2), Windows 7 via the context menu for ISCab.exe..
- Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) and repeated the above actions.
- When I execute ISCab.exe from command line with no program arguments I see:

InstallShield Command Line Cab File Editor
Copyright 1997-2006 Macrovision Europe Ltd. and/or Macrovision Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Usage ISCAB cabfile options

where

cabfile CAB file to operate on

options:

-i"inifile" Specifies inifile with list of file groups and files
-a Add files listed in the inifile (-i option) to cabfile
-x Extract files listed in the inifile (-i option) from cabfile
-r Remove files listed in the inifile (-i option) from cabfile
-l List data file groups and files in cabfile to inifile (-i option)
-lx List all file groups and files in cabfile to inifile (-i option)
-p Media password (if media is password protected)

Please advise what we need to do to get ISCab.exe working again within our build system now that InstallShield 2016 Premier installed. Does InstallShield 2016 have a new EXE for editing CAB Files that replaces ISCab.exe that we should be using instead ?

Note: We will be installing InstallShield2016SP1StandaloneBuild.exe on our Build Machines and Dev Machines once we get InstallShield2016SP1PremierComp.exe running correctly.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
chad_petersen
Level 9

ISCab.exe has not been supported for about 7 years now, at least. InstallShield makes the Cab files during the build process if you tell it to compress stuff.

Good luck!

Chad
0 Kudos
adrnola
Level 2

chad.petersen wrote:
ISCab.exe has not been supported for about 7 years now, at least. InstallShield makes the Cab files during the build process if you tell it to compress stuff.

Good luck!

Chad

Thanks Chad -

For quick response.

As you can tell this something that we inherited in the project that "just worked" and I'm not an InstallShield expert.

I will look into what you say.

Thanks again.
0 Kudos