cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tobin_gj
Level 3

How to find files in use?

Hello,

I have a basic msi project and when I upgrade my application it shows the file in use dialog and it shows a list of application which is consuming my file which need to be overwritten. My problem here is how can I identify the binaries which are in use? Mine is a legacy application and and I am using several merge modules in my installer. I read about the internal table "FilesInUse" which contains the list of binaries/files in use and InstallValidate queries this table to show the msiRMFileInUse dialog. Is there a way to access this table? I have used verbose log level with x (/L*vx) without any luck. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Tobin
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
tobin_gj
Level 3

Here is how you can find it. Looks like installer is putting the files in use information in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RestartManager\Session0000\RegFiles0000. Please note that this key will be present only as long as the FilesInUse dialog is active in installer. Once you close the installer, this value will get cleaned up

For more details read my blog
0 Kudos
tobin_gj
Level 3

You can find the file in use in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RestartManager\Session0000\RegFiles0000. Please note that this registry key will be available as long as the FileInUse dialog is active in your installer. For more details read my blog
0 Kudos
tobin_gj
Level 3

You can find the file in use in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\RestartManager\Session0000\RegFiles0000. Please note that this registry key will be available as long as the FileInUse dialog is active in your installer.
0 Kudos