cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
msalgosuper
Level 3

InstallShield 2012 Limited Edition

Hi there. I am hoping that this is the right place to post this question.

I am using Visual Studio 2012 and when it came time to create my first installation project I noticed that the native wizard that had always been with Visual Studio was no longer present and I was recommended by Microsoft to use InstallShield which comes with a handy free version (the Limited Edition).

My Visual Studio project has a dll (EPPlus) that is referenced that I would need to include on my installation file. I get an error when I use the Visual Studio Output Selector on the Application Files section of the Project Assistant page. I am able to successfully select and add the Localized resources to the list, but when I build the project I get the following message:

Error 2 -6221: Could not resolve Visual Studio .NET project output "[Project Name].Localized resources" from component [Project Name].Localized_resources ISEXP : error : -6221: Could not resolve Visual Studio .NET project output "[Project Name].Localized resources" from component [Project Name].Localized_resources

I later noticed that on the Dependencies page under Step 2, Specify Application Data, that this functionality is available in the Premier, Professional and Express editions of InstallShield only. So does this mean that to include a dll in my installation file I would need to pay for this software wherein I always had a free solution in Visual Studio 2010 and earlier?

Thanks,
-Michael
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

Please have a look at the below KB article which addresses the same error:-

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q107689

Let me know if that helped.

Thanks and Best regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
msalgosuper
Level 3

Hi, Swetha. Thank you for your reply.

I looked at the kb link and unfortunately the 3 causes and solutions do not apply to my situation.

The project is currently within the same solution (scenario A), the project contains the output specified in the error message (in both the reference folder and I even included the dll within the project itself) (scenario B), and the Visual Studio .NET project output is getting built prior to InstallShield trying to include it in the build (scenario C).

The files resolve on a network, but if I move the entire solution locally I receive the same errors.

Not sure what else to try - let me know please what I should look for next.

Thanks,
-Michael
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

To solve it, you may try below

In the MainProject.Localized resources, right-click, selected Properties -> COM & .NET Settings Tab -> Set "Scan at Build" to "None" -> OK.

Please let me know, if this helps

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
msalgosuper
Level 3

Hi Chiranjeevi,

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately I receive the same error still.

Thanks,
-Michael
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Could you Please, try to add those files manually and not using project output selector.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
msalgosuper
Level 3

Hi there. Do you mean adding the files to my project? I have it there currently. Or do you mean for me to manually add it somehow to the setup file? If so, I'm not sure where I can do that on the Limited Edition so that my dll will be registered on the computer the exe is being installed on.

Thanks,
-Michael
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

yes, I meant to say that add the localized resource files to the setup file manually, if you know the dependencies for those files included in the project using files and folder view of installshield.

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
msalgosuper
Level 3

Hi Chiranjeevi,

Would you be able to provide a screenshot so I know where exactly I would be doing this please? I see "Files" under "(2) Specify Application Data" in my Solution Explorer and there on the left, once I click on "Files," I see "Destination computer's folders" and beside it on the right "Destination computer's files," but if I add the dll and the xml file here, then wouldn't it just be plopped onto the computer and never registered?

Thank you,
-Michael
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Let's say the setup has the following output:

MainProject.Debug symbols
MainProject.Localized resources
MainProject.Primary output
AuxProject.Debug symbols
AuxProject.PrimaryOutput
AnotherProject.PrimaryOutput

If you right click on "MainProject.Localized resources" and "MainProject.Primary output" and select "Dependencies from scan at build...", you can see that both of them have the same dependencies.

To solve it I went to the MainProject.Localized resources, right-clicked it, selected Properties -> COM & .NET Settings Tab -> Set "Scan at Build" to "None" -> OK.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
msalgosuper
Level 3

Hi Chiranjeevi,

So I was going to try your suggestion in the "Files" section under "2) Specify Application Data," but the localized resources are not making it there yet. So I had to go back up to "Project Assistant" and right-click the Localized resources entity from that screen. I set the "Scan at Build" property to "None," but I still receive the error when I build the project. I also tried setting the Primary output to "None," but got the same error results.

Thanks,
-Michael
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

What types of projects are included in your solution? If you look at your .sln in a text editor, is the project whose output isn't resolving after a "less usual" project type? ("Less usual" is a little nebulous of a term, but suffice it to say that C# and VB and C++ projects are definitely "usual"; types from other plugins are probably "unusual"...)

You may be able to work around this behavior by closing the solution, saving a backup, and then reordering the projects in your solution file (alternately removing and readding projects from within VS). If so, and it fails for example only when it's after a certain type of project.

Hope this helps,

Thanks
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos