cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itsvnay
Level 4

InstallScript - Uninstallation issue

Hi,
we have recently migrated our pure InstallScript based project from Install Shield 12 to IS 2011. When I am uninstalling the product from ARP it doesn't uninstall the product. Based on:
1) It still leaves the entry in ARP
2) All the files it installed it leaves behind
3) When re-attempt to uninstall it from ARP, windows "Uninstallation error" comes up indicating that "An error occured while trying to remove [Product Name]. It may have already been uninstalled. Would you like to remove [Product Name] from the Add or Remove program list?" - Yes/No

It goes through OnMaintUIBefore, OnMoveData, OnMaintUIAfter events, but I don't get any log info whether it ever goes to "OnUnistall" event. These are same event sequences as our old product which was build using IS 12. We didn't have this issue with our old product.

Can someone please assist me here? This is one of the most critical issues we are running into after upgrading our project to use IS 2011.

Pleaes let me know if any additional informaion needed.

Thanks,
Vinay
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
itsvnay
Level 4

NOTE: We are experiencing this(following) issue only after we converted our InstallScript project from IS 12 to IS 2011.

In addition to previous information, an additional observation in installation log (setup.ilg):

The product built using IS 12 -- shows all files that are associated with Feature(as part of components) under [APP_MAIN_LOG\Data\DefaultFeature\File Operations]

The product built using IS 2011 (after converting from IS 12): Doesn't show any files under [APP_MAIN_LOG\Data\DefaultFeature\File Operations]

Is this a right behavior in IS 2011? Please advise, how to address this issue.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Have you tried building and testing this project with a default setup.rul to eliminate any issues with the script in the project? This will help to isolate the behavior to a project setting or something in the script. If a default setup.rul does not change the behavior, can you attach the built data1.hdr to this thread?

If changing to a default setup.rul does resolve the behavior, we would recommend commenting out maintenance only events to see if they are the cause of this behavior. Essentially, the point is to get the script to a point where commenting and uncommenting some small/isolated portion of code can remove and add the behavior. Once this is found it should be possible to diagnose the issue based on the code that causes the behavior you are seeing.
0 Kudos
itsvnay
Level 4

Hi Josh,
first of thank you for your response and I like your suggestion. I have recently logged a support incident for this issue.

I can understand starting with default setup.rul will eliminate the doubt of prodcut migration issu, however not sure how this would help to troubleshoot an existing complicated setup.rul migration issue. To my best knowledge same setup.rul using old IS 12 works fine (doesn't have this uninstallation issue), however using it with IS 2011 we are experiencing the issue.

I will update this thread as more I will learn about this problem.

Thanks,
Vinay
0 Kudos
D_Fraz
Level 4

Hi, I'm having the same exact problem, but only with one installation. (Note: I have two other installations that are only InstallScript as well, but they are working fine after upgrading to 2011.)

I tested using the original install in InstallShield 12 works fine uninstalling, but after the upgrade to InstallShield 2011 does not uninstall the product completely, and I get the same behavior as you have found when trying to Remove again from Add/Remove. Please note any findings you come up with, I've been fighting this for a couple of days now...
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Do you have any components that are permanent in this project (Uninstall setting is No) that also contain font files that are marked to be registered? If so, there is currently an issue with handling of font registration in permanent components that causes logging to become disabled after the font file is installed and registered.
0 Kudos
itsvnay
Level 4

Hi Franz and Josh,
here is the udpate I got from Flexera support engineer. I have verified the suggested work-around.

"The problem occurs when the following is true in the project:

1) In the General Information view, the 'Font Registration' is set to 'Enabled'
2) The ARIALUNI.TTF font file is statically defined to the ArialUnicodeMS component with the File Property Checkbox labeled 'Register Font File' is checked.

I was able to recreate this problem in a sample project. I was also able to recreate the problem in a sample with our newest version of the product, InstallShield 2012. Therefore, I have reported the problem to the InstallShield Engineering team as issue number IOA-000069311. There is no estimate on when a fix will be made available for this problem.

As an immediate workaround, I suggest statically defining all font files to components and use the file property to set font registration on each font file:
1) In the General Information view, set 'Font Registration' is set to 'Disabled'.
2) Statically Add font files to components
3) Right click on font files, select Properties, and check the check box labeled 'Register Font Files'
"

Hope this helps.

-Vinay
0 Kudos
D_Fraz
Level 4

Vinay and Josh,
Thank you both for responding. Vinay, it appears the work around resolved my issue!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

For reference, the issue reported in work order IOA-000069311 should be resolved in the next release of InstallShield.

The issue is caused by a change made to font registration in permanent components to attempt to not remove the font registration which was previously happening. The change results in a condition where logging becomes disabled and is never reenabled causing things like the uninstall key information for the project to not be logged, which then results in that information being left on the machine after the project is uninstalled.

For reference purposes, this issue can be worked around by not installing any registering fonts with permanent components (either don't register the font or make the component uninstallable). The future fix for this issue will allow fonts to be registered and installed with permanent components.
0 Kudos