cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datamagnet
Level 5

Application fails to launch

Hello,

I have an exe file (myprogram.exe) and in the Installation Interview I select the radio button "Do you want to give users the option to launch your application when your install is complete" and then I browse to the exe file and it fills in the blank with [installdir]myprogram.exe

Then when I make the setup and then run it, I get to the window indicating that the install is complete and the Launch Application box shows as checked. When I click finish, nothing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It would be best to examine a verbose log to see if there are any indications of what went wrong. One of many possible causes is if you are running on Vista and your exe requires elevation.
0 Kudos
datamagnet
Level 5

Sorry for not specifying my system.

Winxp sp 2

OK I will show my ignorance .... How do I get a verbose log?
0 Kudos
Chip_Keen
Level 4

You can trigger it from the Windows command line. Enter "verbose" in your local copy of the InstallShield / Help / Search field for an explanation.
0 Kudos
datamagnet
Level 5

OK Thanks

Now of course it would help if I was uploading the setup to the correct testing folder on my server, instead of to the production folder. Sheeesh. Goes to show that you should name the testing exe of setups something that indicated they are testing and that way "know" whether your server side scripts were downloading the latest one!!!!
0 Kudos
Chip_Keen
Level 4

Here's a more helpful response about verbose logging, contributed by victorcamp 02/15/2008 (http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?p=408233):

Logging

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if this will be of any help, but I've noticed that the logging command line options don't seem to be exactly as documented. Though I'm using Express, these should still apply.

With Setup.exe:
setup.exe /v"/l*vx \"C:\MyDirectory\My_Install.log\""
The quotes must be exactly as shown, since Setup.exe feeds it through to the Microsoft Installer.

Within Setup.ini:
CmdLine=/l*vx C:\My_Install.log
Here there are no quotes, since it's being fed directly to the Microsoft installer.
0 Kudos
peiyang_low
Level 3

Go to link below:
http://kb.acresso.com/doc/DocumentRepository/Installation/InstallShield/InstallShield%202008%20Professional/01_Public/Product%20Info/launch.pdf

It teach u very detail step by step how to launching application after installation. I think you miss out some step in it especially for the custom action and set the condition in the SetupCompleteDialog.
0 Kudos
datamagnet
Level 5

Here we go again. This is for InstallShield 2012. Without setting like this, even if the installation dialog shows the "Launch "executable"" as being checked, it will NOT launch the executable.
0 Kudos