cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simon_Dand
Level 4

Immediate Execution Custom Action question

All,

I have just upgraded my InstallShield 10.5 Basic MSI package to InstallShield 2008 and have found problem running the install package on Windows Vista.

Towards the end of the InstallUISequence I have an immediate execution custom action that calls several nested MSI packages. The reason I use this method is:
1. I cannot call the nested MSIs using my existing InstallShield Script code from the InstallExecuteSequence due the fact that only one MSI execute sequence can be running at an one time
2. The MSI nested install custom action is not right for my package as the nested MSIs still need to exist on the system as separate packages in their own right

Now, when I run my InstallShield 10.5 Basic MSI package on Windows Vista the nested MSIs install fine. However with the InstallShield 2008 package they fail and the errors in the nested MSIs state they need administrator privlidges. I assume that this is due to the change from IS 10.5 to IS 2008 that all custom actions run with their own instance of the IS Script engine and that on windows vista these instances are running in the user context and not in the system or administrator context.

Therefore does anybody know how to make the Immediate Execution custom actions run in the system or administrator context or another way of solving this issue?

Thanks
Simon
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It would probably be best to refactor these MSIs into prerequisites, but you might also look into setting the release option "Required Execution Level" to Administrator.
0 Kudos