cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imoldovan
Level 3

ISSelfRegister - CmdLine doesn't work in IS 2008(BasicMSI) for self unregistering exe

Hello,

Can someone from InstallShield or from outside confirm that the following behavior that I experience is true with InstallShield 2008?

For self-registering exe files with custom parameters InstallShield BasicMSI will always use the parameter that should be use only to register the file? It doesn't use the second parameter to unregister the file.

This was working on InstallShield 12. I have the following situation:
a few windows services that are installing by calling the exe with parameter -install and uninstalling by calling with parameter -uninstall (so it doesn't wotk with -regserver -unregserver).

I added in ISSelfRegister table for these files in the CmdLine column: -install|-uninstall as IS documentation said.

Registering files like this is working fine but unregistering doesn't work because it calls the exe with first parameter instead of the second.

So far I don't know if the Component Advanced setting for installing and controlling services will cover all the actions implemented in self-registration.

Also I'm trying to avoid implementing CA in IS script to handle this.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
HennoKeers
Level 7

imoldovan wrote:
Hello,

Can someone from InstallShield or from outside confirm that the following behavior that I experience is true with InstallShield 2008?

For self-registering exe files with custom parameters InstallShield BasicMSI will always use the parameter that should be use only to register the file? It doesn't use the second parameter to unregister the file.

This was working on InstallShield 12. I have the following situation:
a few windows services that are installing by calling the exe with parameter -install and uninstalling by calling with parameter -uninstall (so it doesn't wotk with -regserver -unregserver).

I added in ISSelfRegister table for these files in the CmdLine column: -install|-uninstall as IS documentation said.

Registering files like this is working fine but unregistering doesn't work because it calls the exe with first parameter instead of the second.

So far I don't know if the Component Advanced setting for installing and controlling services will cover all the actions implemented in self-registration.

Also I'm trying to avoid implementing CA in IS script to handle this.

Thanks.

Why would you do that? It is not best practice...
Do these files have COM info in them?
If so, then it is best to do a extract or manual entering in the COM/ProgID/Typelib's.
Starting services is easy at component level,just use Install and Control NT services in the Advanced section of the components.

reg, Henno
0 Kudos
imoldovan
Level 3

Yes, I know but please tell this to the service developer who do not want to help me at all.
0 Kudos
HennoKeers
Level 7

imoldovan wrote:
Yes, I know but please tell this to the service developer who do not want to help me at all.

This is about reponsibilities...
You are responsible that his software is distributed properly.
Don't make a package that you will not be responsible for and confront the developer with that.

reg, Henno
0 Kudos