cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhuisingh
Level 3

ISLE 2015 keeps reinstalling when opening Installation project

I am using VS2015 Pro and ISLE 2015. I have been able to create an installer project with ISLE.

Problem scenario:
Boot computer.
Run VS2015
Load solution that contains an ISLE installer project.
ISLE goes through its own installation process over again.
Whether I continue the ISLE installation or cancel it I can open the project.

It seems that the only way to get around this scenario (temporarily) is to run the following program from the InstallShield start menu folder:
InstallShield 2015 Limited Edition for Visual Studio 2015
This loads VS2015 and shows an InstallShield 2015 getting started tab.
At this point I can exit this instance of VS2015 (as launched by the ISLE shortcut) and open the installer project in a new instance of VS2015 without ISLE trying to resintall itself.

Once I reboot and try to run VS2015 and open the same installer project ISLE reinstalls itself all over again.

Is there a permanent fix for this? I've tried uninstalling ISLE and reinstalling it but the symptoms remain.

I've also tried TSConfig /repairvsip but that only fixes thing temporarily until I reboot.

Larry H
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

From an administrative command prompt run the command below:

TSConfig.exe /registerVSIP

This should register InstallShield with Visual Studio and may stop the repairing of an incomplete installation that appears to be occurring.

If the issue continues you can look at the windows event viewer after the repair occurs which may lead to a possible cause.
0 Kudos
lhuisingh
Level 3

I ran the TSCONFIG /registerVSIP command form an admin prompt as directed. Not much happened.

I checked the event log and nothing was shown.

I ran VS2015 and opened up an ISLE project and the installation happened again.

So far it is in the same state as before.

Any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
lhuisingh
Level 3

I ran TSCONFIG /info and saw this output:

Trust flags: Fully trusted
Fulfillment ID: IS2010_RTM_ISLE_EVAL
Entitlement ID: 1610626140
Product ID: Not Applicable
Fulfillment Type: Trial activation
Expires: 31-may-2017
Feature Details:

INCREMENT IS2.win.ISLE mvsn 16.0 31-Mar-2010 uncounted sort=109 VENDOR_STRING=EVAL HOSTID=ANY TS_OK SIGN="0"

Trust flags: Fully trusted
Fulfillment ID: 13088984
Entitlement ID: 1610630706
Product ID: XXXXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXXXXX:11
Fulfillment Type: Publisher activation
Expires: permanent
Feature Details:

FEATURE IS2.win.ISLE mvsn 16.0 permanent uncounted VENDOR_STRING=REAL HOSTID=ANY SN=XXXXXXX-XXX-XXXXXXXXXXTS_OK SIGN="0"
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

The license information looks fine from what you posted.

Do you have any antivirus or other security software on the machine? If so, does disabling it change your outcome?

For example, if you are missing a file when ISLE is launched it will install the missing file and this is expected.

but there is no explanation of what happens to this file when the only action taken afterwards was rebooting the machine.

I would investigate the event viewer application logs after the initial repair and once that is complete, close Visual Studio and reboot the machine.

Once rebooted, check the event viewer application logs once again to see if there are any entries that may explain what changes are being made to the ISLE files.
0 Kudos
lhuisingh
Level 3

I finally went with the "nuclear option". I uninstalled ISLE. I uninstalled VS2015. I then reinstalled VS2015 and the reinstalled ISLE. Now things seem to work as expected. I could open a solution that had an Installer project and there were no more "reinstallation" attempts.
0 Kudos