cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

IS2008 and exit code -1073741819?

Is anyone encountering the dreaded exit code -1073741819 (access violation) with IS 2008 Professional? I have recently upgraded to IS2008 (as well as Visual Studio 2008) about two weeks ago and I am now seeing two separate occurences of this exit code.

Automation interface (ISWIAuto14):

I am getting intermittent hangs in CScript.exe while processing VBScript files which use ISWIAuto14 to update my ISM project files. What I have determined is that all the project revisions seem to be done successfully, yet intermittently (on average maybe 2 times in 1000 executions?) CScript pops up a dialog about memory write errors and hangs until I acknowledge the dialog, after which it returns -1073741819 to my calling program.

What is really frustrating is we use this automation in our prebuild preparation which runs in the middle of the night, with the result that the build never launches because it is hung in the pre-build - at least until we come in the next morning and acknowlege the error. [Because of the number of ISM file updates we do, this translates to about one product build out of three hangs!]

FYI - yesterday I opened a case with InstallShield (still waiting for my call back) after first opening a case with Microsoft. Microsoft was able to track through a debugger that the issue may be with "ISUIServices_libFNP.dll" - but we won't know until IS Support gets involved with my case (and I can get them to talk with my Microsoft case technician).

ISCmdBld.exe:

Today, for the first time, we had something similar happen with the command line builder (one single execution out of dozens). In the product config reporting disk sub-folder, the log there showed it actually completed successfully, yet (presumably when it went to exit) it hung with a pop-up dialog with the memory write error message, and once I acknowledged that it returned -1073741819 to my calling program (and didn't complete the normal output log).

Anyone have any similar experiences? Or any thoughts? Or (even better) a solution?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(13) Replies
mikepen
Level 2

Hi Ron,

We have exactly the same problem using IS2008 iscmdbld.exe. We're using ANT as our build manager and the build fails with the -1073741819 error code even though it succeeded. It seems to fail randomly too i.e. it will fail maybe three builds and then succeed there after for a while without any changes to the source.

Did you or anybody else manage to find a solution to this? I've forwarded the problem to our support consultant at Macrovision so I'll post any reply I get here.

Cheers

Mike
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

Case has now been open with InstallShield for a month. Since we use virtual build systems, I had cloned one for purposes of trying resolutions for this problem. We're now to the point where this week I have sent InstallShield my virtual build system clone for them to work on directly - they just started looking at it yesterday. Maybe we should make sure our 'support consultants' know about each other and that they are working on the same problem? 🙂

Meanwhile, the hangs continue, about 90+% in CScript (prebuild processing using the automation interface), and very occasionally in ISCmdBld.

I'll post when anything turns up.
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

Hello Ron, Mike
I have a similar problem also; I have setup a 2005 Team System Server and a build machine with IS2008. I have the IS project under source control but I am building/deploying it as an extra target in my build script using ISCmdBld.exe
Quite often I see in VS2005 IDE the build failing with the message: "the command ""C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\System\IsCmdBld.exe" -p ... ...exited with code -1073741819." although few line above I have "Release\Release - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s)"
I discovered that if I log onto the build bachine, open and compile the project in the IS2008 IDE, then close IS2008 the build (ISCmdBld.exe command) completes successfully.

Any updates on this?
Thanks, Peter.
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

IS Support is still looking at my virtual system. I'll ping them later this week (after they have had a full week to investigate).
0 Kudos
ajhartley
Level 3

I'm getting the same error code, although I'm using the SAAuto14 interface (as the build machine doesn't have the IDE installed), called from a C# program.

I pre-process 8 different builds overnight, for the last week a different one of them has hit this problem every night. Unfortunately, instead of just returning the error code and failing out, it's popping up a modal dialog in front of the Windows login screen! My entire build process is put on hold until I get in and press OK.

I've raised a support issue on this myself (#SIOA-000130935) and linked them to this thread.
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

The latest as of last week is that my case is being escalated (again? I thought it already had been?); I'm told the current thinking is that it is somehow related to the licensing module/activity. As you have opened your own case, once you have an engineer engaged and working on it, cross reference them to my case (SIOA-000125796) - this will be really effective if you are told you are the only one reporting such an issue :).

Best of luck!
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I've just received the following message from IS Support:

[FONT="Times New Roman"]"The CScript problem has been reproduced and determined to be an issue in our software. This issue has been submitted to our Engineering team as issue #IOC-000074866. At this moment, there is no estimated time frame for when this issue will be fixed. You can track the status of this issue using the issue number by checking product release notes or searching our Knowledge Base through eService.

We suspect the IsCmdBld problem is related, but at this time, we are not positive the problem is the same.

For an immediate resolution, I recommend using the Standalone version of the Automation Interface. The Stand Alone Automation Interface object only differs in that it supports more properties for the ISWiRelease.Build method."
[/FONT]

So, it doesn't help me unless I want to switch to SABuild automation, which should fix the majority of the situations I see - however it still doesn't address the occasional IsCmdBld failures of the same nature/result (which to be fair is about 1% of the total failures we see).
0 Kudos
rb_tse
Level 2

Here is a fixed dll that should reduce the number of times the failure occurs.

To install the fix:

Locate the folder: \System. (By default, this directory is "C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS2008\System")
Make a backup copy of the file IsAppServices.dll
Uncompress the fix dll and copy the updated version of "IsAppServices.dll" to the above folder, overwriting the original version.

Rebecca
Technical Support Engineer
Acresso
0 Kudos
thepeter
Level 7

hey everyone, hello again!

Is this a valid fix for this issue? To be honest I don't trust putting this file just like this on the machine. I try to keep the machines as clean/safe as possible.
I can see Rebecca signs herself as Technical Support Engineer, but she might as well be an "Albanian virus" haha!
Hi,

This is an Albanian virus. As you know we are not so technical advanced as in the West. We therefore ask you to delete all your files on your harddisk manually and send this email to all your friends.

Thanks for helping us,
The Albanian Hackers
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I can NOT attest to the file posted by rb_tse, but Rebecca is the support engineer on my case and that is the message I received from her along with a zip file containing IsAppServices.dll. I've just searched the Knowledge Base and I don't yet see anything there regarding this patch, so you may have to open your own case in order to receive an "official" copy of the patched file (at least, until such time as it is made available in a KB article).

Typically (in my experience) this won't show up in any other way until a future Service Pack / Version (i.e., I'm don't believe I've ever seen a Windows Installer patch file from IS for situations like this).

PS. I've run my copy of the patch file a few times (half a dozen) in my build scenario and I've not seen the problem. But then again the problem is intermittent and I might see it 2-3 times in one build, and then not for a couple or three builds. In other words, this is one of those situations where one can't prove the problem is fixed - all one can attest to is that it hasn't occurred again since the patch was implemented.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Yes, the file that Rebecca (rb_tse) posted is indeed from Acresso, and it is a valid file for the issue that was described in this thread. The IsAppServices.dll file that is compressed into the .zip file was digitally signed by Acresso. (You can right-click the IsAppServices.dll file and then click Properties. The Properties dialog box should have a Digital Signatures tab, indicating that the file was signed by Acresso.)

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I didn't realize that rb_tse was in fact Rebecca - I thought that was some other user who received the same thing I did and cut-n-paste out of their copy of an e-mail from Rebecca. And I wasn't going to vouch for someone else's post / attachment.

Thanks for clearing that up. And sorry Rebecca!
0 Kudos
msienkiewicz
Level 2

Hi,
I am also having this problem with the standalone build, can you post the IsAppServices.tlb file required for IS2008 standalone or do I need to contact Acresso to report this issue with the standalone build module separately?

Thanks,
Melissa Sienkiewicz
Software Project Lead
Macadamian Technologies
0 Kudos