cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimStVCS
Level 7

IIS7 - Managed Pipeline Mode for Application Pool

Hello, this may be something that nobody on the planet besides me will ever encounter, but since I spent about the last 4 hours figuring this out, I thought I would share it with everyone. If you need to install a web application on IIS7 that needs to have the Managed Pipeline Mode set to Classic instead of Integrated (which is the default when you create a new application pool) then this post is for you!

IS2009 does not have the functionality of setting this property of an application pool. I have submitted a tech support incident and asked for this as an enhancement - hopefully, Acresso will include it in a future release. Anyway what you need to do is create a new application pool and name it "Classic .NET AppPool". This is because this application pool is created automatically in IIS7 when IIS7 is installed and the Managed Pipeline Mode for this application pool is Classic, not Integrated. Fortunately, my basic MSI installer does NOT throw an error when it tries to create this application pool as it already exists on the target server. So, this works out rather nicely. As for IIS6, since no application pool by this name should exist in IIS6, it is created and you now have an installer that supports both IIS6 and IIS7!

Hope this helps somebody else out and saves them a little time and frustration!

Tim;)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

For reference, this was submitted under work order IOC-000072349. This should be available in the next release of InstallShield.
0 Kudos
TimStVCS
Level 7

Thanks for the quick feedback Josh, and thanks to Acresso for committing to incorporate this request into the next release!

Best regards,

Tim
0 Kudos
sspencer
Level 4

How do I create the new application pool?
0 Kudos
timstspry
Level 7

I use the Internet Information Services view in the Installation Designer and right mouse click on the Application Pools and select Add Applicaton Pool from the pop-up menu.

Tim
0 Kudos
mherrera
Level 3

You can also use appcmd to change the setting:

appcmd set apppool /apppool.name:NAME /managedPipelineMode:Integrated|Classic

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725564(WS.10).aspx
0 Kudos