cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r0landb
Level 2

IIS Web Site installation

I have a setup package which needs to install a web site.

What I want to do is to allow a user to choose port number and host headers during installation.
If the port number is already taken, I want to replace the website using that port.

How can I do that ? And how this will work in WinXP since there is only 1 website in IIS 5.1
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Marwan
Level 7

In the InstallShield IDE, you can use a public MSI property for the settings you mentioned and then allow user to set the values from a dialog.
Also, take a look at this help topic for Port settings: http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield16helplib/IISPortSiteNo.htm
0 Kudos
r0landb
Level 2

Thanks for fast answer. But thats not all...

The help says:

80 (a non-zero number)

0 (the default value)

If the specified TCP port exists on the target system, the installation installs the applications and virtual directories to the Web site that is running on the TCP port—in this example, port 80. The installation does not apply any of the Web site settings that are configured in the Internet Information Services view to the Web site on the target system.

If the TCP port does not exist on the target system, a new Web site is created with the Web site settings that are configured in the project. In addition, the installation installs the Web site’s applications and virtual directories.

The problem for me is:
The installation does not apply any of the Web site settings that are configured in the Internet Information Services view to the Web site on the target system.

I want to be able to replace site settings even if the port exists if User presses a button "Overwrite my settings"

Is this possible ?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

If a website with a specified port exists (and the site number matches or is set to 0), InstallShield will not make any changes to the website. This is to avoid any possible breaking changes that could render the site or existing applications unusable.
0 Kudos