cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kingkong3
Level 3

I need a Consulting about upgade in InstallShield MSI Project

Hello Sirs, I need Consulting about upgrade.

I used InstallShield MSI Project and It's Features consists of the following.

Main - Config
- Source

DB

I want to overwrite only 'Source Feature' in 'Main Feature' when I upgrade my project.

[Situation Step]
My Program is already Installated, and i making upgrade release file

When I change the configuration of [Files and Folder] in Source Feature, InstallShield automatically offers me an upgrade.

1. How to change the message in the pop-up from the upgrade

2. and modify the entry in the specific xml of the installation path in the process.

Please give me a lot of help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

kingkong3 wrote:
Hello Sirs, I need Consulting about upgrade.

I used InstallShield MSI Project and It's Features consists of the following.

Main - Config
- Source

DB

I want to overwrite only 'Source Feature' in 'Main Feature' when I upgrade my project.

[Situation Step]
My Program is already Installated, and i making upgrade release file

When I change the configuration of [Files and Folder] in Source Feature, InstallShield automatically offers me an upgrade.

1. How to change the message in the pop-up from the upgrade

2. and modify the entry in the specific xml of the installation path in the process.

Please give me a lot of help

Hi,

You would need to opt for Minor upgrade :
A minor upgrade is a change to the product database and files large enough to merit a change to the ProductVersion property but not to the ProductCode property. In other words, both the package code and the product version number are different than those in the earlier installation package, but the product code of the minor upgrade does not change. An example is updating version 1.1 of a product to version 1.2. Minor upgrades usually do not have significant changes to the installation organization between versions. A minor upgrade packaged as a full installation acts like a first-time installation if an earlier version is not present, or it installs over an existing installation of a product. Essentially for an upgrade of an existing installation, a minor upgrade installs the differences between your version 1.2 and 1.1 application.

Have a look at this to get more insight:https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/CreatingMinorUpgrades.htm

Coming to your questions:
1.I want to overwrite only 'Source Feature' in 'Main Feature' when I upgrade my project. -It is possible,Just update files to existing component of Main Feature instead of creating new component
2. How to change the message in the pop-up from the upgrade -I hope it is generic message,custom message on upgrade might not be generic use-case.
3.Modify the entry in the specific xml of the installation path in the process-Do you mean by default installation path?

Questions from your attached document:
4.Is it possible to change banner image-Yes.You can do this via dialog-editor.(Here it is InstallWelcome dialog)
5..Is it possible to change text been displayed during installation-I guess it comes from msi events.So it might be not possible to change those messages.

Thanks,
Jenifer

0 Kudos
kingkong3
Level 3

Jenifer wrote:
Hi,

You would need to opt for Minor upgrade :
A minor upgrade is a change to the product database and files large enough to merit a change to the ProductVersion property but not to the ProductCode property. In other words, both the package code and the product version number are different than those in the earlier installation package, but the product code of the minor upgrade does not change. An example is updating version 1.1 of a product to version 1.2. Minor upgrades usually do not have significant changes to the installation organization between versions. A minor upgrade packaged as a full installation acts like a first-time installation if an earlier version is not present, or it installs over an existing installation of a product. Essentially for an upgrade of an existing installation, a minor upgrade installs the differences between your version 1.2 and 1.1 application.

Have a look at this to get more insight:https://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield19helplib/helplibrary/CreatingMinorUpgrades.htm

Coming to your questions:
1.I want to overwrite only 'Source Feature' in 'Main Feature' when I upgrade my project. -It is possible,Just update files to existing component of Main Feature instead of creating new component
2. How to change the message in the pop-up from the upgrade -I hope it is generic message,custom message on upgrade might not be generic use-case.
3.Modify the entry in the specific xml of the installation path in the process-Do you mean by default installation path?

Questions from your attached document:
4.Is it possible to change banner image-Yes.You can do this via dialog-editor.(Here it is InstallWelcome dialog)
5..Is it possible to change text been displayed during installation-I guess it comes from msi events.So it might be not possible to change those messages.

Thanks,
Jenifer

Thank you Jenifer and Please one more help,
I am changing the value of the entry at installation, like the xml below, but how can I prevent the value of the entry when I update?

I want to designate two entries in Config and two entries in Patch [Features] so that they work during installation and update respectively.

So I got the xml files imported twice, and I set them up as part of [Features], and installscript tries to set them up using [FeatureSelectItem (MEDIA, "CONFIG", FALSE)]. , it doesn't work

Help me, please.

[My xml]

2019-02-01 <---- in Setup
2.0.3 <----
-
- <----- in update
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

kingkong3 wrote:
Thank you Jenifer and Please one more help,
I am changing the value of the entry at installation, like the xml below, but how can I prevent the value of the entry when I update?

I want to designate two entries in Config and two entries in Patch [Features] so that they work during installation and update respectively.

So I got the xml files imported twice, and I set them up as part of [Features], and installscript tries to set them up using [FeatureSelectItem (MEDIA, "CONFIG", FALSE)]. , it doesn't work

Help me, please.

[My xml]

2019-02-01 <---- in Setup
2.0.3 <----
-
- <----- in update

Hi,

If i get your query correctly,you want to update few setup properties during actual setup installation and few during update

How do you want to do?

If those are generic properties those can be done by InstallShield->General Information tab.Let me know which properties you want to update for both
Hopefully xml you took for explanation not for implementation.

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos