cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RickRogers
Level 5

How to update a config file that was installed by a chained MSI...

- IS 2009 Premier
- Basic MSI Package

Is there a way to update a web.config that was deployed from a chained MSI?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

To my knowledge, aside from slight differences during their deployment (and uninstallation if written that way), an MSI package that was installed as part of a chain and one that was installed separately are no different for maintenance scenarios. Or, more directly, you can probably pretend the chained MSI was installed separately and just update it however you normally would, be it with a minor upgrade or a patch, or even possibly a major upgrade if your uninstall is loosely coupled.
0 Kudos
RickRogers
Level 5

What I meant was how do you modify the contents of a web.config that was deployed in a chained MSI?

I would like to update some keys in the web.config with information given by the user during the install interview.

If there is not a simple answer, would you tell me when in the execute sequence is chained MSI called?

Thanks
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That sounds like the same question to me, but extrapolating a little bit, can you just add these as Install Properties for your chained package? You can then harvest them in your dialog sequence, and have them passed when the chaining happens (at the end of the execute sequence, but before the commit or rollback actions are processed).
0 Kudos