cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lou_Elston
Level 6

InstallScript MSI question

I was given a copy of an older installer (possibly written in 8.5). I opened it up in IS 2009 (it converted with no errors or warnings), and I see that it is an InstallScript MSI project. Years ago I worked with pure InstallScript projects, and, I have modified msi projects that have called InstallScript functions, so I am not totally unfamiliar with InstallScript. Those projects had custom actions that called the InstallScript functions from the sequences.

In the installer, I can see that there is a setup.rul file with OnBegin,OnfirstUi, in it. I have examined the UI sequence and the Execute sequence, but I cannot see where these InstallScript functions are being called from. In fact, there are no custom actions declared, there are only the sequences in the custom Actions and Sequences view.

I have not build the installer as I do not have the product files, right now I am just looking at the install to see what it does, so that I can estimate what will have to be done to it. How are these functions (OnBegin,OnfirstUi), being executed by the installer project? Is it possible that the conversion eliminated something? If the setup.rul files are being run behind the scene, what is the purpose of have the UI sequence (which has no dialogs in it)? Appreciate any information that you can give me. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Lou_Elston
Level 6

Could this have been a pure InstallScript project previously, the upgrade\conversion made it an InstallShield MSI project, and that is why there are no calls to custom actions, to the script functions? Thus, I should be looking to rewrite this in Basic MSI?
0 Kudos