cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mika01
Level 2

How to repackage an exe into msi

Hi,

I'm trying out the trial version, and want to use it to repackage/convert an exe into an msi. How do i do this? I googled but didn't find the info that I was looking for.
I tried creating a project of the Basic MSI Project type, but i'm not sure what files to add during the "Application Files" stage. I'm thinking that i can't just add the exe?

What i'm trying to do is get an msi for Microsoft's CRM Outlook client (for which they only provide an exe), because we want to be able to set up a push of the software (and our network guys say it has to be an msi). we don't want to go with windows update because we're supposed to keep the Outlook Client as the corresponding version as CRM installed on our server, which we may not always be patching the second a new one comes out. So anyhow, hence the need for an msi.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Evan_Border
Level 8

mika01 wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying out the trial version, and want to use it to repackage/convert an exe into an msi. How do i do this? I googled but didn't find the info that I was looking for.
I tried creating a project of the Basic MSI Project type, but i'm not sure what files to add during the "Application Files" stage. I'm thinking that i can't just add the exe?

What i'm trying to do is get an msi for Microsoft's CRM Outlook client (for which they only provide an exe), because we want to be able to set up a push of the software (and our network guys say it has to be an msi). we don't want to go with windows update because we're supposed to keep the Outlook Client as the corresponding version as CRM installed on our server, which we may not always be patching the second a new one comes out. So anyhow, hence the need for an msi.

Thanks.

InstallShield does not repackage software. What you need is AdminStudio. AdminStudio includes tools such as Repackager, which can be used to repackage software into the MSI format.
0 Kudos
mika01
Level 2

Evan Border wrote:
InstallShield does not repackage software. What you need is AdminStudio. AdminStudio includes tools such as Repackager, which can be used to repackage software into the MSI format.

Thank you!!
0 Kudos