cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Amarjeet
Level 7

How to rename msi file during build time

Hi

I would like to rename my msi file during build. Say msi file name should be PproductName Vx.0.0.BuildNumber.

I created a path variable for above string and assigned to MSI file name in releases - MSI Package file name. But it does not work. Name of my path variable is PATH1. I tried to set the field with PATH1 or
and i get name of the msi file as PATH1 in first case and second case error.

I would also like to know consequences of renaming the msi file for patching / major upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Amarjeet
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Christoph
Level 8

You can write a script that modifies the productname in the ism (not the msi) BEFORE buildtime.

Have a look at the ISWiProperty object of the automation interface.
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

From the InstallShield 2018 Release Notes:

In InstallShield 2018, you can now include the value of a property from the Property Table in product release configuration setup and package file names.

For example, you could enter any of the following properties in the Setup File Name or MSI Package File Name field on the General tab of the Releases > Product Configuration view:

• setup[ProductVersion]

• setup[CustomVersion]

• setup[ProductCode]

• setup[ProductCode][ProductVersion]

If you entered setup[ProductVersion] in the Setup File Name field, it would result in a setup named setup14.10.1234.exe, for example.
0 Kudos
Christoph
Level 8

@DanGalender

Then he still needs a script to set the correct productversion on buildtime 🙂
0 Kudos
Declan145
Level 2

Add an invoke process to call a batch file that will do rename

so the contents of the bat file is something like

rename xyz.msi xyz.QA.msi

or create a custom activity to do the same thing

you could make it generic by adding an argument value that contains your environment name and then set the value in the build definition screen, you could then pass the environment name as an argument to batch / custom activity so you would end up with

SET ENV=%1
rename xyz.msi xyz.%ENV%.msi

mobdro[/HR]
0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

DanGalender wrote:
From the InstallShield 2018 Release Notes:

In InstallShield 2018, you can now include the value of a property from the Property Table in product release configuration setup and package file names.

For example, you could enter any of the following properties in the Setup File Name or MSI Package File Name field on the General tab of the Releases > Product Configuration view:

• setup[ProductVersion]

• setup[CustomVersion]

• setup[ProductCode]

• setup[ProductCode][ProductVersion]

If you entered setup[ProductVersion] in the Setup File Name field, it would result in a setup named setup14.10.1234.exe, for example.

I agree with DanGalender,you can set property which you want to set may be BuildNumber\Version via IDE or via automation interfaces which can be any script.You can use those properties for setting MSI Package File Name.

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos