cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cris_Moore
Level 5

How to reduce installer build sizes?

If there is already a post(WITH solutions!) covering this, please just point me to it. 🙂

I'm looking for ways to reduce the size of one of our installer builds. The zipped installer set of files has slowly worked its way up from ~2MB(in 2006) to ~20MB(now 2010). :eek:

While we are looking at ways OUTSIDE of Installshield to reduce the size, for Installshield however, the biggest increase in size is due to the following three files, data1.cab, data2.cab, and setup.exe.

So the question is: Is there a way to reduce the size of these files?

BTW, I referring to InstallScript projects.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Cris_Moore
Level 5

OK. I've managed to reduce the size of the installer by 4MB by not including the vsredist_x86.exe(Visual Studio Redist) file and making it a web download.

I would still like to reduce the size of the data1.cab and data2.cab files IF that is possible.

Any HELP here would be appreciated. 😄

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Cris_Moore
Level 5

I was able to reduce my zipped install size a total of 7.8MB in total. In my situation, the main parts effecting size were:

1) Prerequisite: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
2) Merge Module: MFC7.1
3) Merge Module: Microsoft C Runtime Library 7.1
4) Merge Module: Microsoft C++ Runtime Library 7.1

To reduce the size, I made the 2008 SP1 Redist a web download instead of packaging it up in the installer. For the Merge Modules, I got rid of them, and just include the required DLLs as part of the application file set. Doing these two things reduced the size of my zipped installer from 17.4MB to 9.6MB, a 45% reduction in size.

These steps may not work for your situation, but they did what I needed.
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi Chris,

Is this an MSI project, or an InstallScript type project?

If it is MSI, we support a better compression algorithm that standard Microsoft *.cab files also support (LZX). You can use this to shrink the *.cab files a bit more.

Alas, the same setting is not available for InstallScript projects.
0 Kudos

This is good to know, but...

Why not tell everyone where you access this setting.

This is a lot like getting directions to someplace that say "drive to New Jersey and turn left."

0 Kudos
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

You  can find the compression settings in the Releases view of your project under the build tab.

I hope this helps 

Capture.JPG

Cris_Moore
Level 5

InstallScript. 😞

Cary R wrote:
Hi Chris,

Is this an MSI project, or an InstallScript type project?

If it is MSI, we support a better compression algorithm that standard Microsoft *.cab files also support (LZX). You can use this to shrink the *.cab files a bit more.

Alas, the same setting is not available for InstallScript projects.
0 Kudos
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, there's no such flag in InstallScript projects.

There are third party tools that let you wrap up a self-extractor that utilizes a better compression method, though.

To leverage something like this, you would build the project using CD-Rom folders, with the Script uncompressed, and then hand off the setup to the third party self-extracting tool to be compressed using the better compression method.

As you're using the Web Downloader method, this might not offer too much more of a savings, however.
0 Kudos
Cris_Moore
Level 5

Thanks for the info Cary. I'll look into this as an option if I need to reduce the zip any further. Right now I've got a 45% reduction in size, which is pretty good. 🙂

Cary R wrote:
Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, there's no such flag in InstallScript projects.

There are third party tools that let you wrap up a self-extractor that utilizes a better compression method, though.

To leverage something like this, you would build the project using CD-Rom folders, with the Script uncompressed, and then hand off the setup to the third party self-extracting tool to be compressed using the better compression method.

As you're using the Web Downloader method, this might not offer too much more of a savings, however.
0 Kudos
tdhintz
Level 6

Under MEDIA | Release | <selectedrelease> | Build tab expand the Compression property and select LZX.

0 Kudos