cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
redbox
Level 4

How to install a file to System32 on x64 Vistsa?

I have a 64-bit component that should be installed in the System32 folder on a 64-bit Vista. However, it always gets installed under sysWow64.

Does anybod know how to work around the issue?

Thanks!
-R
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
redbox
Level 4

I figured out how to solve the problem. The target folder should be "System64Folder" instead of "SystemFolder".

redbox wrote:
I have a 64-bit component that should be installed in the System32 folder on a 64-bit Vista. However, it always gets installed under sysWow64.

Does anybod know how to work around the issue?

Thanks!
-R
0 Kudos
Johan007
Level 3

Where can I find the option for "target folder" where "System64Folder" should be specified.

I am using InstallShield 2009 Express. Maybe Express doesn't support 64-bit Windows at all?

Anyone knows something here?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The Express edition doesn't have 64-bit support, so you won't see a System64Folder. You'd need the Premier or Professional edition for that.
0 Kudos
josephine
Level 5

I too wanted to install some file to system32 on a 64bit machine.

I tried both [SystemFolder] and [System64Folder], the component is installed to SysWow64 instead of System32.

I then tried [Windows]System32, still, installed to SysWow64.

Please advise.
0 Kudos
DWillis
Level 5

josephine wrote:
I too wanted to install some file to system32 on a 64bit machine.

I tried both [SystemFolder] and [System64Folder], the component is installed to SysWow64 instead of System32.

I then tried [Windows]System32, still, installed to SysWow64.

Please advise.

The SysWow64 directory is where all 32-bit system files get stuffed. The System32 directory is actually the 64-bit directory, so you actually want your 32-bit system files to end up in the systemwow64 directory.

You need to confirm what type your component is. If its a 32-bit component, then its going into the right place. If its a 64-bit component, there is an option under that files properties to set it to 64-bit, and the installer should place it in the system32 directory on x64 machines.
0 Kudos