Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

How to include the powerpacks 10 bootstrapper

Hi all.
Please help me out here.

I need to install the PowerPacks 10 onto the end users computer.

Is there a way to add a prerequisite to Instalshield LE 11 that will wrap up the file "VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe", which is installed with Visual Studio in the bootstrapper folder, into the setup.exe file? Then search the users computer for its existence of version 10 or higher. If not found then execute the VisualBasicPowerPacksSetup.exe file before the .NET framework???

Is this possible with LE v11?

I have searched the internet and forums for 2 days and cannot come up with a solution to this problem.

For the record, I am "not" creating a Click-Once install so simply adding the reference to the VS2010 prerequisites list found on the Publish tab of the properties sheet inside of VS2010 will not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thnaks,
MiniMan
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Keerthana
Level 8

Hi,

I understand that you would like to include PowerPacks 10 as a prerequisite using ISLE 2011 and then perform a system search to check for the presence of it.

InstallShield Limited Edition is used to create installers with limited functionality and thereby does not have the prerequisite editor that enables the users to add new prerequisites or modify them. This option of adding new prerequisites is available in the other editions of InstallShield namely InstallShield Premier and Professional.

In order to fulfill your requirement you may use the Custom action view specifically the EXE custom action to include the EXE and using the “Requirements” view the system search can be performed to add a new software requirement and test the presence of the versions by checking the registry entries.

I hope this information would be of help to you. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
0 Kudos
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

Thanks for your input but I found a way around this mess and was able to get it to work on LE. Thanks anyways.

But in your response, you said I could use the “Requirements” view to do a system search and perform an software requirement and test the presence of the versions by checking the registry entries. This will only let me know if a registry key is present and NOT evaluate the versions for any comparison. It won't even let me know if there is a value in the key. It just test the presence of a key in the registry. It is so crippled.

ISLE was meant to be a replacement for the Windows installer per Microsoft and thus should have ea a minimum, the same basic functionality that the Windows installer had. At least I presume that is the reason MS chose to go with Flexera for this replacement but it seems it is becoming so restrictive that one can't perform basic installation now. I hope this isn't a trend...

Mark
0 Kudos
Keerthana
Level 8

Hi,

I would like to explain further that the system search view in the Limited Edition has restricted functionality of being able to perform a search only for the value/key,it makes an install condition and based on this condition the installation proceeds.

In the InstallShield Premier and Professional Edition you could perform a system search to achieve the desired behaviour.

I hope this information helps!
0 Kudos