cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
asc358
Level 3

How to include Visual C++ 2012 Runtimes

I tell my boss this is the best installation software on the market.

First i had to jump through hoops to install the Microsft 2012 Report Viewer.

Now i need to include the Visuall C++ 2012 Runtime files and there is not an option for that.

So I will ask how does one do it with Installshield LE 2013 and have it be reliable?

Yes I know about Custome Actions but the only one that makes any remote sense to me is "After Setup Complete Success Dialog".
So I will start another setup and after mine finishes and totally confuse the end user does that make sense?

Yes I can use the Condition builder but how will it know if I'm installing this 32 bit application on a 32 bit or 64 bit Version of Windows?

We are only targeting windows 7 and higher.

Both my boss and I see this as a test drive of the program I can understand the report viewer not everyone uses it.

The C++ runtimes are not uncommon to need so why cripple it to the point that it is just usless?

My boss won't spend the money to upgrade because he doesn't believe that will help and give us an actuall setup program across multiple windows environments.

Can you tell that I'm extremly frustrated and dissapointed?

Art
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi Art,

I believe you can select the C++2012 redistributable package in the Redistributable view as a prerequisite.

The current limited edition of the software has been out for a while now, the redistributables that are released after the product was ship is not available. If there is something missing, you can always get the .prq or .msm files from the vendor and add the to the SetupPrerequisites or Objects subfolder.

For the test run, I would really recommend doing the evaluation rather than using the limited edition. You are missing a lot of functionality, that you need, that are not designed into the free version.
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/producer/resources/free-trials/#installshield

If you decide to do the eval(limited edition does not have that much access to properties):

For detecting 64 bit, you will want to use the VersionNT64 property:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa372497%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

For detecting Windows version, you will want to use VersioNNT:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370556%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
0 Kudos
asc358
Level 3

Again I ask how do I I get this installation program to install the Visuall C++ 2012 Runtime files when it needs to I can make the .Net Framework 4.5 install if it needs to.

If it is not possible then just tell me that this software is not capable and I will start looking for a system that is capable of doing that.
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

You can add it as a prerequisite in the Redistributable view. If the specific version is not there, you need to get the prq file from the vendor.
If the prq file is authored correctly, it will detect and install the run time if it is missing before your MSI launches.
0 Kudos
asc358
Level 3

Ok I will take a breath.

I do have it checked and it does not install them.

I know this is the issue because if I install the Visual C++ Redistibutables manually then the program runs. Suggestions?
0 Kudos
asc358
Level 3

So I just changed my set up to use the 2010 Visual C++ Runtime to see if those would install.

The first dialog that the setup program shows list the report viewer which I told it to.
It also list the 4.5 .Net frame work again I told it to.
It also listed the 2010 Visual C++ Runtime.

All 3 installed.

Why won't the Visual C++ 2012 Runtime do the same as the 2010?

Is this an issue that Flexera Software is unable or unwilling to address?

Art
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

I would guess that the detection condition for the prerequisite is evaluating true on the machine, so Windows Installer is thinking it is already on the machine or the machine does not meet the requirement set by the condition.
Try adding the /debuglog as a parameter and generate a setup log to confirm.

Check if the key below exists on the machine
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{A2CB1ACB-94A2-32BA-A15E-7D80319F7589}

Also, what OS are you testing on?
0 Kudos