cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anadolu
Level 5

How to determine which redistributables required?

Hello,

Since I am new to this, I am sorry about my question. How do I determine what redistributables, prerequisites or .NET version are required for my application? Is there any tool that specify the required libraries to be included in the installation setup?
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
jlynch11
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

To look for .NET dependencies and properties, you could set the .net scan at build option located in the file properties dialog box to 'Dependencies and Properties'. Right-click your file in the files view and select Properties to access this setting. This tab is available only when InstallShield determines that the file is a portable executable. You can indicate which files you want treated as portable executables on the File Extensions tab of the Options dialog box (InstallShield>Options>File Extensions).

The full versions of InstallShield include dependency scanners. You could also use a free tool such as dependency walker to look for dependencies.
0 Kudos
Anadolu
Level 5

jlynch11 wrote:
To look for .NET dependencies and properties, you could set the .net scan at build option located in the file properties dialog box to 'Dependencies and Properties'. Right-click your file in the files view and select Properties to access this setting. This tab is available only when InstallShield determines that the file is a portable executable. You can indicate which files you want treated as portable executables on the File Extensions tab of the Options dialog box (InstallShield>Options>File Extensions).

The full versions of InstallShield include dependency scanners. You could also use a free tool such as dependency walker to look for dependencies.

Hello jlynch11,

Thank you for your help. I followed the steps you suggested for all the files in the installation. The installation build throws an warning message "ISEXP : warning : -6245: One or more of the project's components contain .NET properties that require the .NET Framework. It is recommended that the release include the .NET Framework." So I want to know which file component (DLL, OCX or EXE) in the installation package requires a .NET framework and what version. The warning does not specify the filename that requires the .NET framework. And the steps I took did not help to know this file. If I know what version of .NET framework is needed, I may ignore which installation file requires it. Any idea?

Sincerely.
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

If you right click (for example) your C# project name within Visual Studio and goto to "Properties" you should be able to determine which version of .NET your application is targeting.

What version of the .NET Framework is included in what version of the OS?
https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/astebner/2007/03/14/mailbag-what-version-of-the-net-framework-is-included-in-what-version-of-the-os/

If you are using 3rd party files (.dll's .ocx's etc..) then dependency walker would be the best route to determine what version of .NET that they require.
0 Kudos