cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonatoC
Level 2

How to create key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run?

Hi guy,

I am using Installshield 6.3 and through the RegistrySets I am trying to create a new key in the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

We are trying to do that on a Windows 7 operating system.

The installation creates the HKEY_CURRENT_USER but not the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. How can I overcome the problem?

Thank you for your help,

Donato
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Not applicable

Maybe you can turn off UAC on Windows 7, then try again.

The better way is upgrade to InstallShield 2010 that support Windows 7.
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I believe application compatibility will automatically elevate the legacy is6 exe provided it has the name setup.exe or install.exe. Otherwise you can always generate an exeternal manifest file and embed it using mt.exe. ( I haven't tested this, but AFAIK you can do this to any Program Executable (PE) file not just managed exe's. )
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Sure, any modification of a file will break a digital certificate. But I'm not aware of InstallShield 6 being able to sign exe's. Don't know that it can't though as I skipped from IS 5.5 to IS Developer 8 and haven't done a pure InstallScript project in years.
0 Kudos
xprt4y
Level 4

Christopher Painter wrote:
Sure, any modification of a file will break a digital certificate. But I'm not aware of InstallShield 6 being able to sign exe's. Don't know that it can't though as I skipped from IS 5.5 to IS Developer 8 and haven't done a pure InstallScript project in years.

You beat me to the delete...I realized that it probably wasn't signed since it was that long ago.

(sorry I engaged submit before thinking)
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

No need to delete, it's a very valid observation that may or may not apply but still important to understand. 🙂
0 Kudos