cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alex_aoe_bits
Level 2

Upgrade InstallScript Product without UpgradeCode from Basic MSI

Hi,

I am new to using InstallShield. Our previous versions used InstallScript project type. Now, I am trying to convert it into Basic MSI. I don't see any UpgradeCode in the installscript project. How can i upgrade or uninstall the old installscript produce from the new Basic MSI product while installation? Do I have to write a CA? If so, Can someone guide me how to do this! Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
xprt4y
Level 4

I had to do this once....Here's the approach I took...

If your old program left traces under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Then the approach I took was to traverse these keys looking for all my old Product Codes/IS 5.0 & 5.5 names.

If they look like these:

RunDll32 C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\PROFES~1\RunTime\11\50\Intel32\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{3E9014D7-2DD1-4AF6-94ED-8C8888B168A1}\setup.exe" -l0x9 -removeonly

the trick I used was to generate all the setup.iss silent response files for *uninstall* and call the UninstallString gathered from all my old product uninstall registry keys with {... -S -f1"..." -f2"..." } from a custom action, one at a time.

It worked pretty well, but people complained about how long it took to install that first version of the software when we switched to MSI 🙂
0 Kudos
alex_aoe_bits
Level 2

Thank you! This is very similar to my situation. I am new to InstallShield. What type of CA should i use? Can you suggest how to get started?
0 Kudos