Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CChong
Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran

How to add a progress bar so the user doesn't hit Cancel in a dialog

Hi,

One of my installation projects is taking about 2 to 3 minutes in the SetupInitialization dialog when performing upgrades. During those minutes the users only see:

Computing space requirements

And nothing seems to be happening.

I'd like to add some kind of progress bar so they become aware that something is happening and that they shouldn't hit cancel (We've documented that this steps takes a while, but of course everybody reads the documentation, right?)

I've tried adding an animated GIF file with some kind of progress bar, but seems like GIF files are not permitted in dialogs.

Now I'm exploring the Progress Bar control, but I'm not sure this is the right way to go.

Does anybody know how can I achieve what I need?

Thanks,
Juan Carlos
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
mehrsp
Level 3

Hi
i have the same problem:(
need to help
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

Are you working on an pure InstallScript or on an MSI project?

If your project is MSI, you can use the SpawnWaitDialog event to display another dialog while an operation is pending.

Steps:

• Define your "Please wait" dialog. Let's call it "WaitForCosting" (see attachment below).
  • In the InstallWelcome dialog, add an event to the Next button

• Event: SpawnWaitDialog
    • Argument: WaitForCosting
    • Condition: CostingComplete=1

(see attachement below).

This will display your WaitForCosting dialog while Windows Installer computes the costs.

Does that solve your problem?

I am not sure about displaying a progress bar. I think you would need a running custom action to update the progress.
0 Kudos
rahulsingh
Level 2

how can we know windows is genuine or not by using install shield,
i want my software install only genuine windows , so how can we know about windows license, my software is based on vb.net.

if u know any other method then please send me some info.
thank you sir
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

I think your question has nothing to do with this thread.
Please open another one.
0 Kudos
skolte
Level 7

RahulSingh

As pointed by 'Reureu' though your question is not related to topic being discussed here, I happen to know the answer so will provide it here.

The way to check whether windows is genuine during install would be to run a custom action that would carry out that check for you. If it fails simply abort the install. You can call your custom action from InstallScript using MsiDoAction() or you can sequence it as per your choice.

To carry out the actual check, in your custom action, you can use a C# class that makes an API call or may be run the code such as this to validate the windows copy.

Hope this helps you.
0 Kudos