cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAnalyzer
Pilgrim

How to Change Value of @PRODUCT_NAME Programmatically?

I can see that the value is set from the Product Configuration level, but I need a different name for each release within it. Based on the flags, I know what I want to name each release. Is there a way to set that programmatically and if so, within which event?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
TsungH
Pilgrim

Re: How to Change Value of @PRODUCT_NAME Programmatically?

ISCmdBld.exe is able to set property value with -z switch.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Pilgrim

TsungH wrote:
ISCmdBld.exe is able to set property value with -z switch.

Interesting. I've never used SCmdBld.exe. We just use the Build feature withing InstallShield. Is there a way to set this within the release properties or in the InstallScript?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
TsungH
Pilgrim

If you are working with Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, Merge Module project types, you can change product name at General Tab for a Product Configuration.If you are working with InstallScript project type, I haven't spent any time on that in recent years, I am not aware of any.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Pilgrim

You can use the automation interface to make changes programmatically to your project. You can also use the automation interface to build releases in your project. So, you may want to look into using the automation interface for programmatically changing the product name at the product configuration level. Here are some relevant links:
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Pilgrim

Yes, I can manually change the property on the screen, but my question is how to do it programmatically. I have several releases within a product. The Product Name is set at the Product level, but I need a different name for each release. Each release has different flags, so I know what it should be. I just don't know what to set.

TsungH wrote:
If you are working with Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, Merge Module project types, you can change product name at General Tab for a Product Configuration.If you are working with InstallScript project type, I haven't spent any time on that in recent years, I am not aware of any.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Pilgrim

Did you just send me to the entire help file? I've already searched the help file and can't find what I need. Maybe I'm just clueless. Is there an example that can show me what to do? What property to set programmatically in the script?

I need to programmatically change the product name based on the features included. For instance, Retail, Trial, Beta, etc. I have separate releases within a product and would like to set that accordingly.

Would also like to set things like the copyright, signing code, postbuild properties, etc. programmatically rather than having to set it manually for each tab, but that's a different dream.

DebbieL wrote:
You can use the automation interface to make changes programmatically to your project. You can also use the automation interface to build releases in your project. So, you may want to look into using the automation interface for programmatically changing the product name at the product configuration level. Here are some relevant links:
0 Kudos
GrantK
Pilgrim

in the automation interface, refer to property: ProductName
from the following link:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/installshield21helplib.htm#StartTopic=help...
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Pilgrim

Thanks, but I'm not necessarily interested in writing a separate program to automate InstallShield. I'd like to just set these values programmatically in the IS script.

Is that possible? Thanks.

GrantK wrote:
in the automation interface, refer to property: ProductName
from the following link:
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/installshield21helplib/installshield21helplib.htm#StartTopic=help...
0 Kudos
DLee65
Pilgrim

*EDIT - removed snarky remarks*
The answer is, NO, InstallScript does not have a property that can set it's compile time name. It has to be set at compile time by some type of external method that requires you to program it to set programmatically.
In fact I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish - anything in script would ONLY apply to runtime because code in script is not executed at compile time, it is executed at runtime.

Sorry no simple answers. So Yes, it is possible but not without work.

BTW, I found your reply to Debbie very rude as she pointed you directly to the interfaces required to modify a build at compile time. However, to accomplish this goal you will need to switch from the workflow of opening the IDE and compiling the setup but rather compile from a command line using the automation interface or command line.
0 Kudos