cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

How do I install a Microsoft Redistributable (Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010)

Sorry for a newbie question on including redistributables.

I need to install this with my program if it's not already installed: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255

It's an EXE program (the 32-bit version). I thought I could include it as a Chained MSI, but it's not an MSI file. Can I extract an MSI file from the EXE?

Is there a way to add it to the the list of Application Data, Redistributables? If so, how?

Or should I just run it after my app installs by including it as another file that's part of my installation?

Just confused where/how I should be doing this. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

You may want to consider creating your own InstallShield prerequisites, and add them to your projects. Please refer to Designing InstallShield Prerequisites and Other Redistributables as a starting point about creating the custom redistributables.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Sorry for my confusion.

Should I be adding this under Features?

One of the help pages mentions a Prerequisites folder under Application Data but I don't see it. Do I need to turn something on to add it? Is it under Redistributables? I couldn't figure out how to add a new Redistributable there.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you already have created your own InstallShield prerequisite that installs the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable, and place it in the following location: InstallShield Program Files Folder\SetupPrerequisites, it should be listed in the Redistributables view under the Application Data section of the InstallShield IDE.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

That sounds promising. Can I just put the Microsoft EXE file in there or do I need to prep it in some way with InstallShield? Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You need to create your own InstallShield prerequisite (.prq) that will launch the Microsoft EXE file. For information on configuring the settings for the InstallShield prerequisites that are available in InstallShield, as well as details on how to create your own InstallShield prerequisites, see Defining InstallShield Prerequisites.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Thanks. I've created a prerequisite pointing to the EXE file I want to include and have discovered that it basically points to the file for someone to download.

I'd like to be able to bundle it inside the SETUP.EXE program that I'm building with InstallShield. Is that possible?

I don't want people downloading multiple files.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

I think I figured this out by adding the setup program as a Support Files/Billboard, then running it in the OnFirstUIAfter event. Is that right?

Is there a way to tell if a DLL is installed properly? I'd like to test a DLL value and if it doesn't exists or is an old value, then run this setup program. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
DataAnalyzer
Level 8

Figured it out with the USEDLL command. All working now. Thanks!
0 Kudos