cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dohodoho
Level 2

How can I make IS use the 64-bit version of RegAsm for self registering COM DLL?

System spec:
- Install Shield 13 Limited Edition
- Visual Studio 2012
- Windows 8 64-bit

I have a self registering COM DLL. Building the MSI package for 32-bit goes fine and RegAsm correctly registers the DLL after I install this MSI package. To make a 64-bit build, I change my DLL project to type Platform Target: 64-bit in hope that InstallShield will use the 64-bit path for RegAsm. But it seems to use the 32-bit .NET path which causes the MSI to not register the DLL correctly. I noticed it uses the 32-bit path because when I change the 64-bit path to some dummy path, it does not complain, while if I change the 32-bit path to a dummy path, it does complain.

How can I make InstallShield use the 64-bit version of RegAsm? How does InstallShield determine if it should use the 32 or 64 bit path for .NET?

I found in documentation that there is a "Template Summary Property" that can be set to x64 which might make InstallShield treat register my DLLs with 64-bit version of RegAsm. However, I cannot find this "Template Summary Property" anywhere in the settings.

Attached log file from my IE build if needed.

Would really appriciate if you could help me with this.
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi dohodoho,

"Template Summary Property" is not exposed in Limited Edition. When you add a file or registry to the 64-bit location, the install should automatically becomes 64-bit.
Where is the dll getting installed to?
0 Kudos
dohodoho
Level 2

kyi wrote:
Hi dohodoho,

"Template Summary Property" is not exposed in Limited Edition. When you add a file or registry to the 64-bit location, the install should automatically becomes 64-bit.
Where is the dll getting installed to?

I think only the professional supports 64-bit COM installations. The DLL is installed to the C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\productname\
0 Kudos
thomas1234
Level 3

The newest version of IS LE should support x64 installations. Is that limited to locations? Or would IS LE 2013 support the correct version of regasm? I am trying to migrate from a vdproj that worked perfectly.
0 Kudos