cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
watsonia
Level 2

Help with Dynamic Folders

Sorry if this is an incredibly trivial problem but I've been trying to find a solution for through the help and knowledgebase and failing.

We'll be distributing our program using USB sticks. This is because the software takes advantage of a library of files which are constantly changing. As such I need the installer to copy a content folder from the USB stick to the folder defined for it in the customise section of the installer.

I've tried using the dynamic file linking but it only seems to be copying over files that were present as the installer was built. Am I just doing this wrong or do I need to do it a different way?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
datamagnet
Level 5

Not sure but I think you have to refresh the dynamic link don't you. If you check the link in the installshield you should see what files are set to be linked. If you have added a new file to the folder I do not think that file will show up as being linked unless you create a dynamic link again. Try removing the dynamic link and then remaking it and see what happens.
0 Kudos
mberterm
Level 7

Yes, Dynamic Links are only dynamic to the point of building the project. It is then when all possible files and folders are resolved and hard coded entries are placed in the appropriate tables for later installation.

If the ever changing files are also named differently on a regular basis and it is not easy enough or convenient to rebuild the project each time, I would suggest a custom action.

Express supports custom actions using EXEs, DLLs and VBScript.

See the help library topic, "Custom Actions View".
0 Kudos