cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usmanjamil
Level 5

Help regarding Installer for 64 bit windows

Hi

I'm working on an installer that has to copy some files on the target machine. register Coms, install window services, and create database on Sql and website in IIS. I have seperate COM dll's for 32 bit and 64 bit versions of windows. Can someone tell me
1. what should be my best choice of installer type.
2. can one installer serve the purpose for both 32bit and 64bit windows, or do I have to create seperate installers.
3. What code changes would occur in my Installscripts for both versions of windows considering seperate default registry sets for 32 bit and 64 bit on a 64bit machines.

I'm new with the installshield 2008, so any help is highly appreciated.

Regards

Usman
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
usmanjamil
Level 5

Have I asked irrelevant questions or Is there no one to answer them. The only reason I had to upgrade from Installshield 6 to 2008 Pro was due to Installation on 64 bit machines and now I cant seem to find much help regarding it here. Hope someone must have faced the scenario of installation on 32 bit and 64 bit machines. Any suggestion would be a lot help.

Regards

Usman
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Either InstallScript or Basic MSI project types should be able to serve your needs. The largest differences are that Basic MSI projects will require a separate package each to support 32-bit and 64-bit systems properly, and that InstallScript packages generally cannot receive Windows Logo certification. Choosing between them becomes a matter of weighing your requirements and your familiarity with the different technologies.
0 Kudos