cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gvarma
Level 7

Debuging installer in Silent Mode

Hi,

I never had to do this before, but i am trying to figure out why my installer does not install any files in silent mode?? it works fine in normal mode.

i dont have any custom dialog box added and also within the IS script I am allocating values to needed variables using if MODE = SilementMode etc.

is there a way to debug Installer (Installscript MSI) in silent mode?

TIA
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

You should be able to run the debugger in a silent install with the following command line:
setup.exe /s /d

It may also be beneficial to create a verbose log of the installation in a working scenario and a scenario that doesn't work, and compare properties such as ADDLOCAL in the different logs.
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

joshstechnij wrote:
You should be able to run the debugger in a silent install with the following command line:
setup.exe /s /d

It may also be beneficial to create a verbose log of the installation in a working scenario and a scenario that doesn't work, and compare properties such as ADDLOCAL in the different logs.

Josh,

Thanks..it does work, however one thing I dont understand is when debugger reaches the first dialog box (sdwelcome), it bums out (installer quites)?

I tried adding SdWelcome.rul to my project just to see where it crashes I found at following code
// record data produced by this dialog
if (MODE=SILENTMODE) then
SdMakeName( szAppKey, szDlg, szTitle, nSdWelcome );
SilentReadData( szAppKey, "Result", DATA_NUMBER, szTemp, nId );
return NEXT;

which is in the beginning of sdwelcome.rul , it is crashing at SilentReadData( szAppKey, "Result", DATA_NUMBER, szTemp, nId );?

and also the application does not get installed, if I do like

if (MODE = SILENTMODE) /*before nResult = SdWelcome(szTitle, szMsg); gets executed*/ then
goto Dlg_SdStartCopy;
endif;

then it application files gets installed but i dont see an instance of my application in Add/remove dialog box of OS or infact under UNINSTALLKEY?

though my application works fine.

any ideas?

TIA
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Please try adding the following at the beginning of the response file you generated and then try running the setup again in silent mode:

[CODE][InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Response File[/CODE]
0 Kudos