cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MNSwiftOne
Level 4

Help: Installshield runs to repair project being compiled

I am developing using IS 2008, and this is a 'General' question, not related to a specific build - I would think many developers will have this problem and need a solution.

One of the new features as quoted on the Feature page is that Installshield automatically repairs files...

What is happening:
Background - I have the product being developed, that will be put into an installshield package installed on my development machine - in the build directory. This is because I have to run it to make sure it works...

Event - Building the project via a command line make (project uses MS 6, 2003, 2005, and Borland compilers) , and at one point - in one of the projects it calls regsvr32 to register the .DLL just compiled - this library is used by later DLLs in the compile run so it must be re-registered.

Result - During the 'Performing Registration' call to regsvr32 in the post build event: Installshield pops up, just like I was installing the product and writes over the files I am compiling...

There must be an Installshield program setting - Registry setting - something to tell Installshield NOT to try and fix files.

Tried On another dev machine (without 2008 installed) - I successfully made a full build with no pop-ups, then ran the program and now Installshield popped open and is flashing up and down many many times trying to fix something, obviously a build failure, bad or missing files - would be nice to learn the problem rather than have Installshield try to fix it...

Thank you.
Todd
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Did you run your install on that machine? I guess it's not InstallShield but actually the Windows Installer engine detecting that the installed application goit damaged (by your build) and tries to repair it. The solution would be to first uninstall your setup before you rebuild. In general I don't recommend testing your install on your build/dev machine but on a clean virtual machine image.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
MNSwiftOne
Level 4

Stefan Krueger wrote:
Did you run your install on that machine? I guess it's not InstallShield but actually the Windows Installer engine detecting that the installed application goit damaged (by your build) and tries to repair it. The solution would be to first uninstall your setup before you rebuild. In general I don't recommend testing your install on your build/dev machine but on a clean virtual machine image.

I cannot 'first uninstall' if I want to design, upgrade or debug this application - this software application has 35+ support DLLs and numerous other support files and database components that must be registered to run the application. The only way I can 'debug' this app to see if it works - is if the other components are installed. Our usual process is after each latest build is built - and tested by QA for a couple months - that we then uninstall and reinstall the latest on our development systems so we alway have the latest database, DLLs and registry settings for the next build.

So - the problem is - how do I tell Windows NOT to attempt to auto-repair. I think I saw reference in my searches to a setting in Installshield that disables this auto-fix feature - but do not know where to find and set it. So - an installshield build could be built that would install the components - but NOT tell windows to try and fix changes... Hoping someone here knows where this setting is defined.

I would prefer though to find where these auto-fix settings are defined in the registry as it would be easier to remove them - possibly - than to get a custom 'don't auto-fix' installer built considering the size of this application.

Thanks,
Todd
0 Kudos